Oil and filter change, other interchangables. Filter body over flow

Leroy_47_Plymouth

This is a 2 parter:

1) Will be doing a first oil and filter change on newly acquired 47 P15 SD which I was informed the filter within the filter body is a Fram C-134A which if that's what's installed then naturally follow suit with what's already installed.....tho not necessary. Finding a Fram C-134A for a 53-59 Plymouth 6 w/auto tranny available but not ready to pull the trigger on it....yet. Finding I can use an LPM L-134 or a Purolator P-70FF. Any input as to what to use as a replacement or what you guys use, and a ball park dollar figure or what is the norm price paid for a decent filter? I'm figuring about $22-$25.

2) To get a look at filter installed in the filter body and removing the cover the oil began over flowing. Tightened it back down. So somehow there's an oil pressure build up so some where some how I must relieve the pressure or catch the oil  so over flow on the starter below doesn't get an oil soaking and a driveway oil slick. What's the best/right procedure to git er done right? 

Thanks in advance..... 

That"s typical... oil leaking out of the filter taking the cover off... no oil pressure there unless you did it while the engine was running.

You didn't do it while it was running did you :eek:  OMG!!!!!

That"s typical... oil leaking out of the filter taking the cover off... no oil pressure there unless you did it while the engine was running.

You didn't do it while it was running did you :eek:  OMG!!!!!

No I didn't take the cover off while the engine was running. Common sense told me the filter box is under pressure while the engine is running.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
57 minutes ago, cerick305 said:

I am also looking for an oil filter on p15 1947 plymouth special deluxe.  The Fram C134PL link is from amazon and not sure if it is the correct one for my vehicle.

Thanks,

Chad

Are you looking for an insert or the entire filter setup? If you need just an insert post a picture of your canister as there are a few styles. I am using a NAPA 1010 in my vehicles.

I`ve used Wix Filters 51080 for years now, very happen with them. These Wix filters were NOS when I bought a case of them a few years back.

1476130967625.jpg

Edited by linus6948

10 minutes ago, linus6948 said:

I`ve used Wix Filters 51080 for years now, very happen with them.

1476130967625.jpg

WIX makes the napa filter. So if you want to get napa it would be a 1080 or I believe a 21080 from the silver line. And my 1010 that I use above would be a 51010 if you want it from WIX

Compatible filter cartridges:

Mopar                                              1121694, superseded by 1821552; L-70.

Allis-Chalmers                                  4734248, 4984237.

Fram                                                    C-134A, C134PL.

Case                                                     08926-AS

Hercules                                             47247-BS

Jeep                                                     645638

Massey-Ferguson                             10142:9-M92

Hastings                                               316

Purolator                                             P-70FF

Wix                                                      PC-80-N, PC-80-NP

Delco                                                   P-316, PF-316

LPM                                                      L-134

Yale and Towne                                   282K-90

Towmotor                                           5283

Clark                                                   857171

Kleenite                                               2-4029

This list is incomplete. Check eBay regularly, there are good deals. I recently bought 3 cartridges for $7 apiece.

• Like 1