What's Everybody's Opinion on Fiberglass Running Boards?

I've been having trouble locating replacement running boards for my 54.  The ones I have have been repaired incorrectly.  Whoever did it, welded a two-foot section of ribbed running board in the center of the dimpled running board that's supposed to be on a 54.  While structurally sound, I hate the way it looks.

In my internet searches, I came across some reproduction fiberglass running boards on Fetchup's.  Has anybody tried these out?

-Bill

Fiberglass is good stuff but you must look real close as to the manner it is constructed as to determine if the unit will handle the in and out step weight over a long period of time.  This could be a good fix, it could be making of your second running board nightmare.  I know I have skirted your answer, and you looking for actual users....I think I would do a read on other forum like the earlier Ford sites where fiberglass reproduction have been a main source of replacement for years.  While it is not the exact same as you application in application and length, it would be beneficial reading as to discussion of some issues and work arounds on installation.

Proves you can ask whatever you want for something...but doesn't mean they'll sell. Worst issue I've seen with fibreglass parts, are they are never really paint ready, and most times need a bunch of body work as well...boards may be a little different, but you wouldn't want to mix and match with original steel

......Has anybody tried these out?

-Bill

No.....

Fetchup seems like a new company backed by an older one, Mid-Fifty (ford parts). 

I also noticed the 54 runnigboards are not available yet. Will be interested to see how may panels they do.

Simply put, fiberglass is tough, but not tougher than steel....so treat it accordingly. I've done a lot

of fiberglass parts for customers, as long as you understand its not steel, everyone is happy.

As a body man, I can say its harder to get FG to smooth out, but not Impossible. Steel has to be worked as much as any part, and I've yet to put a new OEM steel panel on a vehicle that didn't need some fixin.

48D   

Edited by 48dodger

Contact John's Salvage in Seguin, TX (they have a website).  I think I saw a set on a truck in his yard last time I was there.  They are reasonable and I believe they will ship parts.