My 1954 project.......not a quick build !!!

Welcome to my recent purchase, a 1954 dodge pickup. original chassis and engine. straight 6. Model C-1-B6.. I was that keen to get this that I have knocked the back of my garage out to get it in, full wall down will follow soon. Most of the body panels have been shot blasted so the patina has been lost on some parts. Bit of welding on the back of the cab and passenger floor and cab mount, apart from that body is sound. Work to do on the engine and all linkages. Brakes have been rebuilt with new cylinders and drums, just need cleaning and perhaps new seals as this has stood for about 3 years. Just thought I would share this......dont expect a fast rebuild, slow and easy I think.  Need the back wall down so body can be put on. All body panels in daughters garage next door, hopefully she wont move !!!!!!...Hope pics load ok.........Dave, Norwich, UK..

What are your views and where is the best place for spares ????? Thanks

post-9322-0-68647900-1469826481_thumb.jpg

post-9322-0-81767700-1469826510_thumb.jpg

post-9322-0-32907100-1469826570_thumb.jpg

post-9322-0-35569600-1469826595_thumb.jpg

post-9322-0-12870100-1469826620_thumb.jpg

post-9322-0-37379000-1469826689_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Is your garage the tiny one like mine or the larger one? Also, what kind of breather filter ia that? I've never seen one like that.

I would start with Ebay and Craigslist for parts. You'd be surprised what you can find on there!

-Bill

Hi Bill, You cant get a smaller garage than this, had to remove the rear wheels and drag it in on a trolley jack under the diff. As you can see I have knocked 2 holes through the wall to let the chassis rails poke out. this wall will be taken down in the next few weeks. Luckily the bed sits inside the rear wheel arches so I should have enough room to assemble it. Also just bought 4 wheel dollys with the intention of removing the wheels and putting the brake drums on the dollys, this should help lower it enough to clear the door top.......fingers crossed.............. Not sure about the breather filter as yet, I will check it out and get back to you. I have been looking on Ebay, prices seem a bit high or is that because I am tight !!!! . I will look into craigslist and see what he has.... many thanks Bill.  The bloke I bought this from said he has a manual for this somewhere so when it arrives I will be able to figure out all the parts........Trying to find out what thread the cylinder head bolts are and the cab mounts, are they the same at the front and the rear ?

Edited by thrashfit

The garage I keep my finished project in is pretty small. Have about 6" clearance to close the door. :D

I would think that the breather is a mil spec item off a Power Wagon. Nothing wrong with that. It looks fairly purposeful compared to the stock item.

Have fun with your build.

Jeff

Before you put the body on make sure the following things are right first whilst everything is easy to get to.

Most of all steering box! These are commonly worn and are one piece through to the column.

Kingpins and all steering bushes this will stop the truck wondering all over the road.

Springs and Spring perches brackets etc it's much easier to remove all these without all the weight on the chassis.

Get it running driving and stopping before you put the cab on this will allow you to check everything is working correctly and most of all safely!

These old trucks can easily kill you if you don't check everything properly especially when you don't know history of the truck.

Make sure everything on the brakes is spot on, no leaks anywhere particularly on the back of the master cylinder as its game over if that leaks whilst you are driving it. If there is the slightest leak or dodgy seal make sure it's A1 perfect before going anywhere.

Other than that look forward to a load of fun, swearing and joy when it all works after putting it back together for the 3rd time before it works :-P

Cheers , I have been concentrating on getting the garage/shed in order so I can work on it, needed to remove something so I took the  steering box off this morning. bush at the top is worn and gear lever linkage is a bit worn too so its a start. Thanks for the info, thats the next few years sorted then !!!!

• 1 month later...

Started to strip the ole girl down, managed to get the cab suspended from 2 " I" section frames I made up for my block and tackle so rolling chassis can be moved out from under the cab. The water distribution tube looked well rusted so thought I would remove it.... after reading how other owners have struggled with this I was afraid the tube would not come out.... so I soaked it in releasing agent and made a slide hammer with hook, no joy, stupidly I had an old heavy duty hacksaw blade and tapped this in only for it to break off ...bugger..... made up a flat metal bar with sharp leading edge and gently tapped this in both sides, next ground the jaws of a pair of vicegrips so they fitted inside the block and attached these to the WDT , made a stronger hook on the slide hammer and attached it to the vicegrips... one hour later and with plenty of releasing agent and a trapped finger in the slide hammer the blooming thing started to move...yippee...10 minutes later it is out and complete too. Plenty of rust in the hole so will need flushing through. I hope this luck continues as gearbox is now out and next will be the engine. Bit of a learning curve here so any help is most welcome. There is a lack of parts here in England so will need a large shopping trolley when looking for bits in the USA.

IMG_20160904_190822102.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thrashfit said:

Cheers Jeff, Plenty of work to do, I am in no rush so just keep plodding along. Decided to remove the brake master cylinder this morning, rusted solid, another thing to add to the shopping list.........

Should also add new brake lines, hard and soft. 

• Like 1

Cheers Dave;

I had a similar type parts situation to yours several years ago when I decided to build an AJS motorcycle over here. :)

I started off with an engine that came out of an attic in Iowa......and built the entire bike around it. It is a bitsa but still very cool. Would have been almost impossible without a good internet group.

Enjoy your project......it will be great when it is done!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I have wanted to own an American truck for many years now but the price of them here in the UK is really high and out of my reach. This project truck is in pieces but has a rolling chassis and was in my price range, I can strip and build over a long period so hopefully my wife wont see what I spend on it !!!!!!!. Engine will be removed , stripped and cleaned and hopefully most parts put back, I dont want to skimp on this build but need to watch the pennies . I am asking some English importers the cost of parts and I am getting a list so the import and shipping costs are kept down. This will take some time but I have enjoyed what I have done so far if only looking at it while I drink my tea. It is a great forum and have been happy with the replies and encouragement from you lads in the USA. More will come in the next months/years...........Dave

• Like 1

Dave;

Believe me when I say I understand what you are up against. If it makes you feel any better I started with a derelict truck that had sat for around 30 years. It was a pretty big job to say the least ....took me about 3 1/2 years. Doing a Dodge even here where they were built is a bit more complicated than building a Chevy or a Ford. Can't just pick up a catalog and order everything you need. It is OK though as you will find out because you can find what you need. You just need to look a bit harder and get creative some times. Being active in this Egroup is by far the smartest thing you can do. I look forward to following your progress.

Jeff

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 2:25 PM, Jeff Balazs said:

Well done and congrats! There ought to be a merit badge for those of us who have gotten past this little treat.

Jeff

This a great idea Jeff....lol.

This was my experience Thrashfit.... Water Dist. Tube removal video

48D