Production number information

jjareckijr

I have recently purchased a 1949 Chrysler New Yorker 1st Series sedan.  Internet states that due to a strike, Chrysler delayed their 1949 line and extended the 1948's into 1949 calling them the 1st series.  Production of this 1st series was reportedly from December 1st, 1948 to January 11th, 1949, but others sites say it was more into March or April, with the 2nd series 1949 Chrysler starting then.

My engine number is C39-76022, with a vehicle number of 7085479.  From yanktanks.co.uk, it reports that the serial numbers of a 1949 C-39 New Yorker ran from 7085470-7092068 with a span then of 6,598 produced, and numbering of the engines beginning at C39-1001 . . .  if correct.

From the wealth of knowledge of P12-d24, I would hope that this inquiry can be answered, or that I could be directed to look elsewhere.

If more is needed in this quest, please advise,

John

I have researched this issue with respect to my 1949 Desoto Convertible.  The problem with all the books on production of 1949 Models is that MOPAR did not break down the car serial numbers between held over 1949 models and the "true" 1949" models.

That said, I have some documents from Chrysler in the form of the Service Bulletins, that shows the serial number split on mechanical issues. Over the next couple of week if I get some time to dig through them all, I will see if I can come up with a serial number where the change is reported.  It is 6 inches of documents, so send me a note in a couple of weeks to remind me if I don't get to it.

I have a memory that the change come about in late February or early March. Also, it was different for the different divisions and also for different models.

As others have said the cars are very different so it is easy to see which body style it is.  However, it is very hard to tell how many of each style was sold in 1949.

James.

I have researched this issue with respect to my 1949 Desoto Convertible.  The problem with all the books on production of 1949 Models is that MOPAR did not break down the car serial numbers between held over 1949 models and the "true" 1949" models.

That said, I have some documents from Chrysler in the form of the Service Bulletins, that shows the serial number split on mechanical issues. Over the next couple of week if I get some time to dig through them all, I will see if I can come up with a serial number where the change is reported.  It is 6 inches of documents, so send me a note in a couple of weeks to remind me if I don't get to it.

I have a memory that the change come about in late February or early March. Also, it was different for the different divisions and also for different models.

As others have said the cars are very different so it is easy to see which body style it is.  However, it is very hard to tell how many of each style was sold in 1949.

James.

they did not break down the hold overs from the true 48 and the first series 49 but the true 49 new model is distinctly different and marked accordingly...actually the 46-48, 1st series 49 engine number were continued from first car 46 through last first series 49...the engines then were stamped with the proper prefix for that new year model designation..body numbers for first body xx year is broken out by plant and on a couple various sub models within that year.....source 1955 Motor Repair Manual

For plymouth anything manufactured after 12-1-48 is considered a 49. So if you have your build date you can tell what you have. My car is close being built november 1948.

To all I appreciate your input and knowledge....

To Hansen, your ariticle of the "New Yorker Serial Numbers" does mentioned the Chrysler's 1st Series and those c39's between 7085470 and 7092068.

To Casper50, yes there is difference between the 1948 and 1949, but when Chrysler was not ready to produce the 1949 they held over the 1948 and listed them as a 1949 1st Series and the others to be the 2nd Series.  I am only going by the reportings on the internet.

http://www.schmitt.com/inventory/ds-1949-1st-series-chrysler-new-yorker-highlander-convertible/

http://www.allpar.com/history/chrysler-years/1945-1948.html

and so on . . .

To Douglas, I await to hear from you and your research...

John

The 1st series 1949 models were an invention of the marketing people, thus they do not appear in any parts book, services manual or serial number listing that came from the Engineering Department. 

The delay in getting the 1949 models in production had nothing to do with a strike but problems in getting the new models to suit Chrysler head, K. T. Keller.  The first models shown to management in 1946 were lower and appeared longer than the production 1949's.  I suspect they failed the hat and milk jug tests. 

K T Keller would walk into the styling department with his hat and a milk jug (the large ones farmers used to take to town).   He would sit in the front seat wearing his hat and bounce around.  If his hat hit the ceiling, the roof had to be raised.  And he then would place his milk jug in the trunk and close the lid.  If it closed, excellent.  If not the trunk lid had to be raised.  But you cannot just raise the roof and raise the trunk lid - the rest of the car has to be changed to match the alterations.  Thus the delay in getting the real 1949s into production.  And you now know why Chrysler products looked so high and boxy during the Keller era.

Production started on the 1st series 1949 models on December 1, 1948,  and continued to the end of production in late January, 1949.  There are some lists out there that show cars being "produced" in February and March, 1949.  But those lists are "SHIPMENTS" reports, not production.  With the new models in production, it became difficult to get rid of the now old cars.   Thus cars were sitting around Chrysler factories two or three months after they were built.

The first series 1949 models were identical to the 1948 versions.  You need to know the serial number to tell the difference.  Also, engine numbers were a continuation from 1948, which were continued from 1947 and 1946 before that.  Just like the cars.  1st series 1949 models apply only to cars, not trucks..

Should point out that Chrysler of Canada did not have a 1st series 1949.  They continued to build 1948 models to the end of December and then shut it all down.  The Windsor car plant sat idle for January and began building the new 1949 models in February.   Sales apparently were tailing off in 1948 and they pulled the plug earlier than in the U.S.

The 1st series 1949 models began at the following serial number points :

Plymouth DeLuxe - P15S

Detroit (Lynch Rd) - 15,284,535

Los Angeles - 26,017,026

Evansville - 22,071,867

Plymouth Special DeLuxe - P15C

Detroit (Lynch Rd) - 12,066,020

Los Angeles - 25,062,783

Evansville - 20,287,572

Dodge DeLuxe - D24S / Custom - D24C

Detroit (Hamtramck) - 31,201,087

San Leandro - 45,041,546

DeSoto Taxi (LWB) - S11

Detroit (Wyoming Ave) - 5,113,458

DeSoto DeLuxe - S11S

Detroit (Wyoming Ave) - 6,205,976

DeSoto Custom - S11C

Detroit (Wyoming Ave) - 5,948,453

Los Angeles - 62,001,895

Chrysler  Royal Six - C38S

Detroit (East Jefferson) - 70,037,181

Chrysler  Windsor Six - C38W

Detroit (East Jefferson) - 70,702,448

Los Angeles - 67,001,921

Chrysler  Town & Country Six - C38W

No production after November 30, 1948

Chrysler Saratoga Eight - C39K

Detroit (East Jefferson) - 6,770,181

Chrysler New Yorker Eight - C39N

Detroit (East Jefferson) - 7,085,470

Chrysler Town & Country Eight - C39N

Detroit (East Jefferson) - 7,408,110

Chrysler Crown Imperial Eight - C40

Detroit (East Jefferson) - 7,811,348

• Like 2

• 4 years later...

Of my inquiry of many years ago, I recently found some information from the "Automotive History Preservation Society" (AHPS) of Perrry, Michigan that depicted a production chart of the 1948 Chryslers New Yorkers sold as 1949 models, that being then the 1949 1st Series.  Of AHPS's production chart, it shows that 28,289 1st Series Chrysler models were produced, and only 603 of the C39 New Yorkers, of all eight (8) models listed, were produced.  From the information provided by B-Watson in August 2016, the serial numbers for the 1949 1st Series Chrysler's began with the serial number of  7,085,470; and with that, my car would be the tenth (10th) produced with VIN of 7,085,479.

My question is, of the 603 New Yorker's produced per AHPS chart, how many of these 603 were the C-39N, 4dr-sedan, 6 passenger?