Dolly Dodge Needs New Wiper Blades & Heater update

Always go see Wise Way Tu to find out the true answers on tough doge truck question.

8-1/4" are not the correct length!

The 1950 sales films show this....there are some earlier and later DT sales films too that show tons of details.

Thanks, all I can tell you is what is on my truck, that is what I was going by.  I also look at photos of my truck in the 50s, 60s, and 70s and it appears it has the same short wiper-maybe that is what the shop had and someone started using them who knows.  Like an earlier person mentioned, I likely will never need them as rain is rare here. My goal with this truck was to keep it as my grandfather had it, so I kind of wanted the 8 1/4 blades since that is what he had on it.  On thing I have learned is that all these trucks are not alike-no matter what the manual says.  I found that when I started the rebuild, everything from the size of my parking bread drum, width of the parking brake pad, to the clutch size, and a host of other things, were all not standard.  I sent more stuff back to Roberts and DPW than you can imagine, because it wasn't the correct size for my truck even though the manual said that particular size was the correct size.   I looked at the dodge pilot house book and the blades look longer in there as well.  Anyway, one thing I did was take apart the wiper motor and rebuild it too.  It was not working when I brought the old girl back to life.  I took it apart and the grease was hard as a rock inside.  I put new grease in, hooked it to power and it works like a charm, both speeds.

I'm not sure about the size but mine rest flat on the bottom of the windshield I think it started in 50 or 51 mine also has electric 2 speed wipers well it's suppose to only one speed works now and the self park wors whenever it wants

the change happened in 51 with the B3's

• Like 1

I got the heater all put back together and hooked it up.  I will install it next weekend I hope.  Got my 9 inch wiper blades and they work about just right.  Here is a video link for the heater.  It took forever to get it so the fan didn't hit somewhere.  I had to modify the mount to fit a smaller diameter new motor. In the video I hear the fan hitting at lower speed, I didn't notice it when I was working on it as I was having so much fun.  I found where it was hitting and fixed it.  I still need to order the defroster hose, but it works yippie.  I have one question thought, the Rheostat gets really hot, is that normal?  Here is the link

https://youtu.be/lt2OBotdmB8

post-2240-0-92241100-1470064817_thumb.jpg

post-2240-0-38922300-1470064835_thumb.jpg

post-2240-0-22223300-1470064851_thumb.jpg

post-2240-0-05836000-1470064889_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I got the heater mounted (with the exception of the lower bracket and I need to make a modification for it).  Hooked it up and it works great.  I took the Heater out on February 21, 2010, so it has been 6 years and 6 months since I pulled it out.  It was one of the first things I did with Dolly was getting fixed up. It is a major milestone for me to get it back in.  I have to modify the glove box so it will fit, then old Dolly will be good as new.  She needs a paint job, and new wood in the bed, but she is road worthy and mechanically sound.  It is so fun to have her back in shape.  Sure has been a long project.  When I got her back to my house after sitting for 35 years in operable, one of the first things I had to do was clean all the mouse and rat droppings out of the cab.  The was several inches under the seat.  I finally gave up, opened the doors and attacked it with a power washer.  I wish I had a picture of what it looked like, but for some reason I didn't take one.  Anyway, it was fun for me to put this item back one.

IMG_6670.JPG

IMG_6681.JPG

IMG_6687.JPG

post-2240-0-32606100-1470667621_thumb.jpg

post-2240-0-02393700-1470667635_thumb.jpg

post-2240-0-09109800-1470667647_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

You had mouse droppings?  Heck I had that AND the mouse!  Check out his photo from inside my truck.  Man, it was smelly and bad.  

I took a bunch of Day One photos and they are on my website, but caution....they are UGLY!  :rolleyes:

Petrified critters, way cool.  I took lots of photos in the beginning but didn't do the inside before cleanout.  I almost got sick cleaning it out it was so gross so I can relate.

bulletin.....bulletin .....bulletin......what if they are already in the vehicle and would want out...inquiring minds want to know... :lol:

I should have thought of that about the possums that were in the crawl space of the house we bought and then immediately had tented for termites. :(

I got the heater mounted fully this weekend, all that is left is the heater hose, and a new rheostat, both have been shipped.  I redid the glove box this weekend too.  It isn't very big now, but as it is in the photos, it still just barely fits.  Exciting to get the heater in and it works so well.  I did a lot of modifications to get it right.  Very pleased with myself (patty myself on back as I type)

post-2240-0-70286300-1471298254_thumb.jpg

post-2240-0-36805900-1471298337_thumb.jpg

post-2240-0-51234300-1471298360_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I got the heater to defroster hose hooked up.  It was a momentous day for me.  The last thing to hook up for DD to be fully functional, all the mechanical stuff works.  Just a little over 7 years since I brought her home to get her going again.  I felt like I needed to throw a party or something to celebrate.  It was a huge day for me for some reason.  Any way all her parts are back on and she is on the road.

post-2240-0-77072900-1472484817_thumb.jpg

post-2240-0-82756700-1472484877_thumb.jpg

post-2240-0-47642800-1472484889_thumb.jpg

post-2240-0-90794200-1472484901_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Anything that pivots /moves and is metal I lube it or oil it or pack it.

I worked for a man who taught me that.

It makes machinery last longer, be more efficient and not make annoying sounds!

I even remove the wiper pivot phillips screws and oil each wiper pivot on all my cars and trucks yearly!

Yea.... I know that's a little over the top:rolleyes:

Rob

• Like 2

In an earlier post you mentioned that the heater rheostat was getting very hot. I meant to comment on this at the time but got sidetracked. This could cause some potentially serious problems. Seems like all the small ones that are commonly available share this condition. It took me a while to find a NOS one on Ebay that was larger and better made that does not get real hot. I believe the one I found was for a Buick of the same time period.......at any rate it does not get too hot when in use.

Just something to consider. Don't want to see Dolly get cooked.

Jeff