Plus One ---- Ton

curse you Craig's List!

Found this one 8 miles from my house.... post-6005-0-25701400-1469332283_thumb.jpg it was parked in the barn since 1977.

B4D (126) flatbed post-6005-0-22631900-1469332299_thumb.jpg owners daughter said it used to have a tank on it and her dad put the flatbed on it. here are a few pics post-6005-0-03719100-1469332278_thumb.jpg post-6005-0-08175000-1469333333_thumb.jpg first one of theses trucks that I've had that was changed to a solenoid.......   

it has it's share of ouches on the roof and passengers side and glass. but shoot for $900. i'll give it a go.

thanks for the advice Bobacuda and PA on the CL/E-b thread....... something about " in a sea of beauties at a petting zoo you should adopt and take one home"..... ?? or something like that  :lol:

• Like 6

cleaning up ok with the scotch brite pad and water, Thanks JB for the tip! post-6005-0-80876400-1469372841_thumb.jpg

can't wait to paint parts of this truck,,,,,,,

this week hoping to see what valves are stuck (no compression)  

on a side note; thought it was interesting, the owners, daughters, husband :huh: owned "Hurst Tires" here locally  http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/wheels-tires/1009sr-hurst-racing-tires/

he was moving some equipment made in "Lodi CA" post-6005-0-16615300-1469371416_thumb.jpgpost-6005-0-72935900-1469371425_thumb.jpg 

small world :)  

• Like 1

LOL. I told you you'd fill up your place with trucks. :)

Congrats. I'll look for some more for ya. Hehehehe

LOL, Only if you want the overflow at your house.... Wait a minute.... Seems like you are without a pilot house at the moment.... I have one with your name on it! :D

LOL, Only if you want the overflow at your house.... Wait a minute.... Seems like you are without a pilot house at the moment.... I have one with your name on it! :D

Good point when does the new one get a name? 

Brent, you are a sick and twisted man with a Pilothouse addiction :lol: .  Perhaps an intervention is required....

But who am I to say...over the years I have accumulated a '67 Barracuda convert, a 70 Barracuda convert, a 72 Cuda parts car that now a days can be rebuilt and a '74 Cuda.  On top of my B4B and my father-in-law's '54 Chevy wagon.  Oh, and all need to be redone (except my truck).  My two kids have already figured out who wants what :rolleyes:.

I have to live quite a few years longer with that bucket list.  As you can imagine, I get LOTS of offers from folks willing to take all of my projects (or parts of them) off of my hands.  I am the oft cursed "gonna get to it someday" guy, except that I am getting to them.  I just need to build another shed with a lift (tired of crawling) and then I am starting on the '67.

Edited by Bobacuda
  • Like 2

Oh, a name for the new truck.  Well, you have George (Strait).  His mentor that got him his big break was Kent (Finlay) and he played at Cheatham (Street Warehouse).

• Like 1

Good point when does the new one get a name?

The PO named it "Katie" but I can't do that for as hard as I am going to work it and I agree with ggdad1951 trucks are guys. LOL

Brent, you are a sick and twisted man with a Pilothouse addiction :lol: .  Perhaps and intervention is required....

Yes please, I am begging for it... I keep going to CA in April but it's not helping....... :D

• Like 2

Yeah.....stopping by my place in California, which is full of nothing but old dodge trucks and parts......that'll never help you quit!!!

Not to mention when I stop by your place and point out all the space you need to fill with more trucks...lol.

48D

• Like 1

ok, I am diving into it trying to get it going. being the lazy person I am.... knowing I have one exhaust valve stuck open (#6) I decided to get spark and see if it would start anyway. yeah, no such luck.  :)

so, I pulled the head off last night and in the process (because I am such a bone head "tough guy") I broke a head bolt! lucky it is between #4 and #5 and not at the firewall and there is some meat sticking up. post-6005-0-79093400-1470149993_thumb.jpg

anyway, if a guy wants to be cheap is it worth trying to clean up the valves and reuse them or pitch them and get new?

I guess when it comes to the valves, I am not sure the line between reuse and replace  

(and the #6e valve popped back down with little effort from up top)

The photos of the tire molds are quite interesting...did you have a chance to talk with Cody?

They disappointed a lot of folks when they, very suddenly, quit making tires.

The photos of the tire molds are quite interesting...did you have a chance to talk with Cody?

They disappointed a lot of folks when they, very suddenly, quit making tires.

Hi Gary, this particular person was Steve, he said he was forced out by the landlord at his shop by the increased rent..... Sounds like he wants to get back into it. He is looking for a new/ different shop but the space, electrical, plumping etc. needed at a reasonable rent is hard to find. I suppose commercial is as the housing market here on "the wet side" outrageous!

Thanks again for the offer to look at that DeSoto for me..... Didn't work out with the seller so I bought this truck instead :D

Nice score on the truck. Not too bad looking for being in the 'valley'. (for those not familiar with our 'valley',

think in terms of a 'swamp'... :P )

Good to hear that Steve and Cody (Father-Son) still have 'plans' to get back to it. Sadly though, on some forums, they simply disappeared and other folks in your area who tried to connect with them simply found them 'gone', w/o explanation.

Kinda make some folks leery.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I suggest you put it back together, get it running, and them make the decision on what to do based on how it runs.

solid advice Don! at first I thought you were trying to make me answer my own question, but then I realized following your suggestion, I would only be out some gaskets.

spent the last two weeks tearing it apart an cleaning it up. broke four bolts total, left the head gasket on as a heat sink on the block post-6005-0-75905000-1471194380_thumb.jpg and after tapping the two intake/ exhaust "long" manifold bolts out post-6005-0-35756800-1471194827_thumb.jpg I decided to pop an expansion plug to flush out the shavings post-6005-0-29840200-1471194375_thumb.jpg WOW the crap....

cleaned up and lapped the valvespost-6005-0-96752000-1471194367_thumb.jpg switched out the fuel pump and it started (until the gas in the carb ran out.... float issue)

and, only broke one tool so far post-6005-0-62232700-1471194812_thumb.jpg  :D

• Like 6

Lucky duck Brent!  I wish I could snag another truck but I need to get the '50 on the road and start putting the '48 back together.  Nice SCORE!

Thanks Mike, it is nice to have something else to tinker with but it is sure hindering my B3B progress. :)  

last night I smoked out the neighbors burning off all the oil I used to make sure things were moving. I still need to adjust the valves and fine tune it.... then on to the brakes!

on a side note, does anyone use a 6v starter with a firewall mounted solenoid, without the foot push pedal activator?  was that even an option for a truck? I switched it out because it looks like the "teeth" that engage the flywheel were barely engaging and wearing down   post-6005-0-53287000-1471455406_thumb.jpgpost-6005-0-96800300-1471455407_thumb.jpg (and the starter seemed like it was turning slower) 

Got my starter answer, no, thank you

Background, new coil,points,rotor,condenser, plugs, wires, cap.

Vacuum is 19/20, timing is around 4 btdc, rpm idle around 650-700

Adjusted the valves today cold, 10 (I) 18 (E)

two of the E were very tight (to the point the shoulders on the adjusting nut started to round) I could only get those to 14.

When I started it up There is a miss/ slight "pop" out the exhaust.

Is it possible for .04 difference on two valves to cause the miss/ pop out the exhaust?

I'm kinda wondering if worn valve guides may be the cause of the not-so-smooth exhaust...if the valves are rattling around a little, they may get hung up before that instant that they need to closed...also, I recall that the engine idle speed should be closer to 450-500 rpm...I do not recall where I read it, but there is a way to replace worn valve guides with the engine in the truck.  It involves a valve guide installation tool, a hammer, a cold chisel, and a lot of patience...I was able to replace the guides on the '49 while the engine block was in the truck, and if I over drove the guides, then I could carefully use a long pry bar to adjust the guide height    :cool:

• Like 1

Thanks JB, probably going to let that task ride for a while if I can. think i'll just run it and address if/when I need to take the head off again :)

wanted  to share something I made to remove the fuel tank sending unit ring. nothing fancy and I know a screwdriver or pliers work but, I had a 8" section of 2-1/4" pipe and tacked on some 1/4" rod to pick up the ring ears/tabs, and drilled a hole through the other end 

post-6005-0-47758200-1471884945_thumb.jpgpost-6005-0-59206500-1471884940_thumb.jpgpost-6005-0-88964600-1471884942_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I was stewing on the popping exhaust and kinda wondered if some of the valve springs were worn too...there's detail in the shop manual about using a special tool to check spring "strength" to determine if any require replacement. I suppose a weak spring will not keep the valve closed and could be the cause of a vacuum leak during operation, but I will have to yield to the experts on this one as book lurnin' cannot exceed field experience when addressing operation issues with the ignition system, valvetrain and carburetion :cool:

• Like 2