P235-15 7.60 15 AND L78 15

1941Dodge88

The wider the tire is,the more effort it will take to turn the steering wheel while stationary,but the wider tires may ride a little better and last a little longer.  No big deal either way. People have been running 15 inch tires on these cars ever since 15 inch tires came out.

The Cokers will work if the 2.35 x 15's work. IIRC,they are two ways of describing the same size tire.

I THINK the originals were 6.00 x 16 or 6.50 x 16.

Information missing. The 235 you speak of is the section width of a metric radial tire. Without knowing the aspect ratio, that is the height of their side wall expressed as a percentage of the section width, the tire diameter is not calculatable. Modern tires have aspect ratios from 45 to 95, with 95 being most comparable to the original inch numeric size. Letter series tires went from narrow A series to the widest L series, but without knowing what the letter stood for width to sidewall height comparison is a crap shoot because a C 15 Firestone is not the same diameter as a C 15 Goodyear, and the aspect ratio is unknown. Some letter series tire sizes included a numerical width representation such as C 78 15 or C 70 15 where the 70 series would be a shorter tire than the 78. So you are comparing apples to kumquats without more information.

If you know the size tire that came on your car, you can find the diameter for that size on line and size new tires to come as close to that diameter as possible. But you might need to be careful of getting a too wide tire to fit under the fernder.

Edited by greg g

So a quick question I have 235-15 on my dodge now, would L-78 15 Cokers work, will they be the correct size? It looks like on the conversion chart they are the same size. I also have 7.60-15s what is the difference with all of them?

I had L-78 tires on a 1960 Chrysler 300, that was a very large tire.

I believe the H-78 were closer to the 235 tires...

go online and look up a tire comparison chart that will allow you to enter the very tires of your choice and compare the difference as it will allow you to enter multiple tires and you can judge the revs per mile, height and other aspect at a glance...first and I think you have done this is cross the original number series tire against the progression of the tire industry, this is how I believe you got your letter designated 78 series tire size..this will allow you to find a tire that will not only fit your wheel well but be close to correct for you speedometer 

as an personal point of view...if you intend to drive the car..stay away form Coker...but that is my opinion...if you truly want WWW's in bias....look to Lucas tires (go online) and look at their tires..IF you decide that a WWW on a modern radial say form diamondback or other such company....keep in mind that you SHOULD alter the caster a bit positive on your alignment for radial application...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams