Window channel Moulding

55 Fargo

What type of material is use for a molding on side window glass before it is placed in the window channel. I am using glass from a parts car for my project (48 Chrysler).What would be the correct thing to do here. I plan on putting all of the side window glass from one car to another, maybe I should just use the whole window channel and regulators from the parts car and transplant them into the project car. Window mechanics are not my thing, I have a hard time working on them as I cannot see how they actually work..................Thanx Fred

Not quite sure what your question is. Are you asking about the channel that goes around the top and sides of the window opening or the channel that is fastened to the bottom of the glass? If you mean the bottom of the glass, there is a rubbery material that can be purchased at your local glass shop. However, I would just swap the complete window mecahisms if the replacements are in good condition. The window channel that goes around the window opening can be purchased from www.restorationspecialties.com

BOb

Fred any glass shop will carry that. I've also heard of guys using body seam sealer. I'm going to try it one of these days. I did glue one window in with silicone window sealer on the 48. Seems to be working so far.

Installed the 2 door windows in my 48 Chrysler coupe today, they were used genuine mopar windows from my parts car, everything went well, except I could not believe the poor condition of the window mechanics, regulator, window channels and wheels. I did clean them up, but they are far from restored, they were rusty and very dirty. In fact the window frame assembly on my drivers side will have to be replaced , even the parts car one was roughed up. The windows go up and own okay, but on the drivers side it doesn't fit well against the vent window. Hopefully I can find another coupe window frame in decent shape. Next I will install the small back windows, the mechanics look filthy and rusty, will clean them up, maybe paint them and install the used glass in them, even if it's only temporary until I can put in new mechanics and glass someday, my car will have all the windows in at least.

Is this common to old cars that have sat outside for a long time, or am I just having hard luck with my car,what have some of you done with these windows, is there weatherstrip on the top of the door where the window comes out to prevent excess water from flowing down into the doors, that may have been worn or missing on mine...........Thanx Fred

Brendan, yes I have a shop manual, I did adjust the wing windows, but it wasn't enough. Will try and get some better window parts in the future, this will do for now, It will be a while before she is on the road anyway.........................Thanx Fred

Fred,

I would defnitely replace the "Channel liners", which are the felt-fuzzy inserts that go inside the steel window tracks.

In the mean time, DO NOT close the doors hard, especially when the glass is rolled-down: I guarantee you will have cracked glass if you do not need my warning !!!!

( Been there, done that too many times, too many vehicles!).

This is why old glass is often broken when we get a car ( bulls-eye's from the neighbor kid's .22 is another story...)...

If you can, go to Restoration Specialty website...

www.restorationspecialties.com

They have the chanel liner and the clips...

I will try to find one of my invoices and post part numbers...

The lower window channel, which includes the "Lionel train wheels" that keep the window in the tracks is often rusted-out... NOS / NORS lower channel is still available... will have to see where I got mine; Roberts and Bernbaum might have them...

I would be careful about using goos and glues to hold this stuff together... the factory clips and setting tapes allow you to be able to take things apart w/o destroying them, when necessary....

Will try to get back to you with a goodies list for this stuff...

As for rubber gaskets for things like vent windows, quarter windows, windshield, backlight, Steele Rubber is about the best.

Good luck,

DE Soto Frank