230 Flathead Fluid Drive Dust cover

CSARebel

How to remove the Dodge 230 Flathead 6 Fluid drive dust/dirt cover, I removed 8 bolts that I found two 7/16 and six 1/2 inch bolts but it will not come off, do I need to pull the engine , I want to inspect the flywheel, have a tool used for turning it, engine sat for awhile and need to spin the crankshaft. The engine and trans are still in the car.

The shop manual is not real clear on this as pictured below. Removing the lower dust cover does not involve the dowel pins as they are used to align the bell housing. From the picture below it appears the lower dust cover is bolted on. Have you removed the transmission?

002.jpg

fluidrivebell.jpg

deleted

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

No flywheel to inspect on a fluid coupling. It bolts directly to crank. No flywheel nor flex plate. Starter ring gear is on the fluid coupling.

Earl

may be squeezing juice here but as the fluid coupling as an assembly incorporates the driving plate that is the very surface that the clutch disc will mate with and is actually for all purposes the flywheel in this sense..

Kinda but still not a flywheel. Flywheel keeps momentum for the engine, fluid coupling takes that place. The plate is just that, a plate. Is no flywheel. Not sure what he wants to inspect, but I can assure you, there is no flywheel.

Earl

that is why I said it may be squeezing juice....the operation if to compress the disc between it and the pressure plate...and granted the momentum is dependent on the fluid transfer..and as with the flywheel, scoring or hot spots will need be addressed same as the flywheel itself would have to be...unique hybrid set up that has stood the test of time for certain...

The shop manual is not real clear on this as pictured below. Removing the lower dust cover does not involve the dowel pins as they are used to align the bell housing. From the picture below it appears the lower dust cover is bolted on. Have you removed the transmission?

002.jpg

fluidrivebell.jpg

thanks for the engine transmission photo, There are 4 bolt at the rear of the housing, that need too come off then cover should come off?

Kinda but still not a flywheel. Flywheel keeps momentum for the engine, fluid coupling takes that place. The plate is just that, a plate. Is no flywheel. Not sure what he wants to inspect, but I can assure you, there is no flywheel.

Earl

No flywheel to inspect on a fluid coupling. It bolts directly to crank. No flywheel nor flex plate. Starter ring gear is on the fluid coupling.

Earl

I agree it is on the fluid coupling. but want to inspect it as a few teeth are missing

If the drivers of the day with this FD setup had a clue how to properly use the clutch "very little" -hot spots in the "chunk of heavy cast? iron"  that the pressure plate bolted to would ever develop hot spots in it that would need to machined to repair.

But newbies maybe? :huh:

We had a lot of this FD setup used with mopar flat motor 6's with a four speed ( no reverse gear in this box)

and an attached forward/reverse box used in rough terrain forklifts (6,000-12,00 lb. cap.) .  Many/many times when on a job site I had to show the forklift operator how to NOT use the clutch except when changing gears. Put in 1st. or 2nd. and leave there depending on terrain and load. Use only to change forward or reverse. Made their job easier and smoother. Saved many a clutch, which made my shop work easier!  ;)

DJ

Deleted

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

If your Dodge car has:....... The two cast iron or steel re-enforcement brackets ..lower dust cover to engine you need to remove them

"                          "           The two studs that screw into the lower dust cover housing and go into the two lower mount holes of the Trans.....   remove them

Shown is the bell housing and lower cover plus the brackets that came of a 1952 Dodge Fluid drive 230 with the M-6 transmission

Bolts that need to be removed are noted...

You might have the stamped steel lower cover... slightly different used with the 3 speed trans not the M-6 as shown.. 

my bell housing cover is made of stamped sheet metal not cast iron.

deleted

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

I am still working on unfreezing the engine after sitting sense 1967, I soaked the engine with Marvels & 3 & one oil, Valves are free, Pistons 2,3,4,5 oil passes pistons and ring inside cylinder wall, But #1, 6 penetrating oil still not going down around iron rings, I want to take off the dust/dirt cover under fluid drive, want to inspect it for anymore damage to flywheel, I only seen 2 teeth missing, maybe from same person who took parts off car years ago. I guess a pry bar, too see if crank would turn. it's froze, so (starter,Radiator,fan pulley, water pump,fan was missing along with Sisson Automatic choke). I now have all parts I found at local junk yard here.

Just the 2 lower bolts that go through the xmission need to be removed.

Front also may have a sheet metal dust cover attached with 2 small bolts if you have not already removed it..

post-80-0-78004800-1468943853_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-11976900-1468943873_thumb.jpg

Front also may have a sheet metal dust cover attached with 2 small bolts if you have not already removed it..

thanks for the photo's, I did not pull the engine out, it is still attached, but want to get this cover off, so I can see inside, last owner of the car must have lived in the country, I mean a dirt road. Engine and trans are covered with years of dirt,sand,alot of the parts clutch peddle,brake peddle,linkage for shifter was froze until I soaked it in 3 & One Oil.Like I stated before, I want to try and save the old D24 Engine and not throw it away. My next step if I can't break engine loose is to pull it and do the complete rebuilt. either way it will be a fun project.

thanks you so much, the photo's help greatly, I got the inspection dirt/dust cover off De-greased it and cleared years of sand dirt from it. the inside is clean and teeth on flywheel are in great shape except for two missing teeth. I have a tool blue point GA-44 Flywheel turning tool