Carburetors need replacement

Tommy

I have just about given up on my Holley 1920s I have installed on my 251. Can't get them to stop leaking. I also have no faith that I can find other Holley 1920s that won't have the same issue.
I hope i can find something to replace them that won't require the complete re-enginnering of the fuel delivery/ throttle linkage I currently have installed.
Suggestions?

Correct. I am assuming the bowls are distorted from repeatedly being overtightened over the years. The carb body itself may also be warped.

Have you tried taping 240/280 grit wet or dray sandpaper to a pane of glass,and "polishing/sanding" the fuel bowl mounting surface flat? You can use kerosene as a lube to keep the paper clean.

I know of people doing this in the past to cure fuel bowl leaks,but I have never heard of the mounting surface on the carb body being warped.

Worth a try. If it works it could save you a lot of time and money. You can see the progress you are making because the high spots will be shiny. Just keep gentle pressure on the float as you move it back and forth on the sand paper and try to not cock it as you move it back and forth.

And of course use new gaskets and lock washers on the bowl screws when you put it back together.

Edited by knuckleharley

• 1 year later...