R10 overdrive rebuild kit

p10_tom

Hi all, the 50s Plymouth overdrive I have in my 1940 plymouth coupe has been jumping out of top gear lately. I have changed the side plate, changed the detent balls and springs, modified the springs and adjusted the shift linkages but it is still jumping out of top gear. Along with the oil leaks I would like to pull the the whole lot down and rebuild it but do not know where to get a rebuild kit for it. I'm in Australia and have had no luck yet. Does anyone know where I can get one?

Thanks

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 7/16/2016 at 7:20 AM, p10_tom said:

Hi all, the 50s Plymouth overdrive I have in my 1940 plymouth coupe has been jumping out of top gear lately. I have changed the side plate, changed the detent balls and springs, modified the springs and adjusted the shift linkages but it is still jumping out of top gear. Along with the oil leaks I would like to pull the the whole lot down and rebuild it but do not know where to get a rebuild kit for it. I'm in Australia and have had no luck yet. Does anyone know where I can get one?

Thanks

Problem areas to check:

1- bell housing alignment to center of crank pilot bearing within .003

2- same for trans to same within .003

3- worn 3sp. trans part of OD trans, the OD part should have nothing to do with your  problem. Look at a later Mopar repair manual to work on it.

Regular trans parts are the same between non OD trans and OD trans Except for main shaft. Should make your parts search somewhat easier except for some gasket and a seal exclusive to the OD portion.

There are early 50's trans with brass(bronze?) strut type synchro rings and a later 50's  type with pin type so get parts to match your model trans.

• 1 year later...

Geez I’ve been pretty slack on here, didn’t end up rebuilding it. What it was, was the teeth on the input shaft where the selector slides onto for top  gear was badly worn. Ended up fitting an a833 od. Best conversion!!!

On 7/19/2018 at 8:38 PM, p10_tom said:

Geez I’ve been pretty slack on here, didn’t end up rebuilding it. What it was, was the teeth on the input shaft where the selector slides onto for top  gear was badly worn. Ended up fitting an a833 od. Best conversion!!!

For what it is worth, you can find another standard 3 speed trans for  main box parts they are the same as used in the R-10 main box.

So it could be rebuilt with good used parts from the donor and sold to help with other parts purchases needed. They (R-10's) are getting harder to find in the US and I would expect more so down under?

Just a thought, I used parts of my 50 Plymouths standard 3 spd. to help fix up a R-10 I found and bought.

DJ