57 to 61 aussie engine

tub1

hello to forum members ive been a member here a while i just dont say much . my question is for Australian mopar folks is there any differences in the cylinder heads on the kew type motors I'm freshening a 57 Desoto 230 motor up with a 251 crank and rods ,I have several heads and wondering is there any differences between these as they have different casting numbers but appear to be very similar ,I know one is of a 61 truck and one a 57 Desoto van another just appeared from who knows were ,I'm using this engine for a repower on a 34 sedan of a different heritage than what is discussed on this site .

Tub, welcome to the best mopar forum, these guys know their stuff.......a couple of things to mention tho'.......they have no idea what a "Kew" engine is as its a term that was coined here in Oz to refer to the 25" engines ONLY, they being ordered from Canada via the British Mopar office in Kew, London, UK  as part of the British Commonwealth connection and therefore a better deal via the tarrifs imposed, anyway the 25" engine is incorrectly referred as being a 230, its NOT, only the 23" Plymouth/Dodge engine of 201, 218 and 230 cubes is........the 25" De Soto /Chrysler based engine is the "Kew" as it came from Canada and was available in 217, 228 & 250(or 251 depending on who is telling the story) capacities( the 265 Chryser version was never available here in Oz)..........anyway is your De Soto a proper 1957 US De Soto or is it an Oz version using the 1954 body shell as as far as I know the only 1957 De Sotos sold here were 4dr USA sourced sedans with the 350 wedge V8 & torqueflite auto.............so if your engine is 25" long it should have "kew" stamped into the engine number pad and I think the only head differences are due to the compression that would be either via the chamber volume or size and possibly whether the head has been milled to also increase the compression...........I assume then that your "230" is actually the 228 with 3 & 3/8th bore and 4.250 stroke...........the 250 uses a 3 & 7/16th bore with 4.5 stroke..........just checked my 1954 workshop manual and the 228 engine number is suffixed with "C", the 250 uses the "kew".............lol................anyway I have the following workshop manuals.....1936-42 Oz, 1946-53 Oz, 1954 Oz, 1957 Chrysler Royal AP1 Oz, 1960 AP3 Chrysler Royal Oz and 1946-54 US Plymouth manuals.......plus a few others........lol.so if you need a page copied let me know via this thread, pm or give me a call on 02 6642 5963...I'm in Grafton NSW............regards, Andy Douglas

• Like 3

thank you andy, my motor has kew on the block its from a desoto ambulance, truck type to us aussies pilot house to our learned american friends, 3 7/16 bore ,were the crank and rods came from was a 1961 australian twin headlamps egg crate grill etc that us lucky Australians got  crew cab ex pmg service truck that still has all its tray and ladder racks tool boxs fitted  once again 3 7/16 bore longer stroke 4 1/2 stroke ,totally different crankshaft to look at ,I had all rotating assy balanced so it should be a smooth running sucker ,I'm sure our American friends will be saying what are these silly aussies talking about ,however I'm sure you will understand my lingo, scott

• Like 1

• 1 year later...