The 49 Chrysler - an ambitious project

rb1949

The ol' buggy has been immobile, waiting for a repair on the starter. How boring, just sitting out there in the driveway with nice summer weather. A project was on the list. Why not now? Via the picture, many of you well know this kind of project. I ran out and bought a compressor and spray gun.

post-8890-0-25867700-1468544828_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Once you commit to a paint project there's no turning back. These old cars are pretty big too. Ambition had to be consistent, tackling wet sanding every day after work, and the weather was ideal. HOT!! Snooping found trim pieces with accessible fasteners that could be removed. Lots of chrome stayed on the car, I'm not one to totally dismantle everything. Gave myself 2 weeks to get the buggy prepped. Got to make it look better than the previous paint job. Staying with original color, ordered on-line.

Goal achieved and the 49 has a new look. Same original color, which I like on this model, so let's call it an 'improved' look. Hustled to get it masked up for an afternoon chore while the weather was good. You won't see show quality, but I'm happy with beach cruiser quality.

412669023.jpg

412669024.jpg

The $9 spray gun did a nice job. It was painted right where you see it ........ outside and under a tree. Still there, hoping for some hot sunny weather to let it cure up. The shiny parts that were removed are getting polished up awaiting installation. Have time to get some new mounting studs and nuts. Any suggestions on where to find replacement "clips" for the side molding? They clip in the trim with a stud thru the hole and a nut. Do they have a name? Will be nice to have it back together and some new pictures.

• Like 2

I would say you have done well.  The clips you refer to are called rat-tailed clips around here because of the little spring which holds them in place.  They come in a variety of sizes and any good auto supply should have them, especially one which specializes in body and paint .

Thanks. It's good to see a nicer car sitting out there. Touched up areas that spray misses. Ready to install some clean chrome. The side molding width varies, so there are different clips. Finding some on line, but hope a local place may have them, to SEE. O'Reily has some that should work, May order a few to test. Best price, and free ship to store. Also played around and fabricated some which worked good. May continue that route to make the needed sizes. Got the soft "no-harden" putty goop that goes around all the bolt holes to keep water out. The original stuff was a quite sticky soft green substance. 3M makes a product, but didn't need 60' of it!! Down the road, should my ambition attempt buffing? Have an 8" pad on an orbital or rotary buffer. Any experience with various types of compounds? The paint is Acrylic Enamel.

That looks great!  It's very inspirational for those of us who haven't reached that stage yet. And I know what you mean about commitment, especially working around your daily schedule. But you have to strike fast while the inspiration hits you.

Front end parts are going back on. CHROME!!!! That's a lot to keep shiny.

412673538.jpg

Ready to head to the back end. More chrome goodies. That means reconnecting the lights too. Kinda anxious to get the visor back on. I think the visor makes this model look great. But will have to admit, when it was removed, quite a difference in visibility. Especially those stop lights. Some like them, some don't. I'm surprised the Indiana boys haven't stopped by to take a look. I do notice when you mention Chrysler people tend to run the other direction.

Edited by rb1949
  • Like 1

Look"in great at this point!  :)

DJ

After a detour to the beach I had time to work on the trunk and get the big one piece brake light assembly installed. CHROME!!

412678393.jpg

Those pieces help it look snazzy. I'm using the cheap $3 sticky "electricians putty" from Menard's which seems to be working fine around the mounting holes. The 1# block would be enough to do every hole on 50 cars. Hard to see with the glare but that skinny Chrysler emblem across the top has raised letters, and the background should be black. Also look close at the big bar across the bottom to vaguely see the words FLUID DRIVE in recessed letters. These letters should also be Black. Will be getting out the paint for some careful touch up back to original. (Me wanting something original??) The large tail lights on the fenders are next. Had a problem with bad mounting studs, so re-tapped the holes and have to cut new studs. No big deal. Still working on side molding clips, a problem around here. Ha. One familiar parts store wanted $14 to ship 3 pieces, maybe 2 oz!! My idea is better, and will be making some. There are times you can improve on a part.

Lots of beach detours this weekend. It was perfectly hot, but the beer was cold. Finally got all the replacement studs measured and cut for the tail lights and gravel shields. Plus clips for the rear fender side moldings. Putty the studs for the holes and get this stuff installed. MORE CHROME!! The ol' buggy is looking pretty spiffy. New picture of course. I'm pleased with the beach cruiser.

412684468.jpg

Still cleaning up the hood ornament, a big piece in plain view but the most nasty of all chrome. And get that visor back on. That will mean another picture. Can't believe I did all this waiting for a part to be repaired. Don't be afraid to attempt a paint job. You can do it.

• Like 1

...Don't be afraid to attempt a paint job. You can do it.

Ooh-rah!  I'm liking what I'm seeing with your car, and echo your painting sentiments.  Not as hard as professionals would lead one to believe.  The desired result is totally dependent on the amount of work one is willing to put in.  So if all you're lacking is a decent paint job, just tear into it, you'll be surprised at what you can do, and the results can be very satisfying.

If I tried to paint my car, I would begin with an image of perfection, and end with a series of compromises,  The job would go from No. 1 Barrett-Jackson to No. 3, 20-footer, if I'm lucky. 

But there's much to say for 10-footers and even 20-footers.  

My car, with all its nicks and minor dings, is still an attention-grabber, and photographs very well.

post-126-0-64759900-1469451761_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

For the movies, they don't like cars with too much shine in the finish.

The Happy days DeSoto Suburban had the top repainted, for less gloss.  (And there were fluorescent lights inside, for the close shots.)  (Sometimes when I drive my Suburban at a show, someone will call out "Howard Cunningham!) 

The Ypsilanti Automotive Heritage Museum (guess what city that's in) has a Tucker replica made for the movie.  It's fiberglass, on a Ford chassis, with painted chrome.  Looks great on film. 

I'll admit that I would be tempted to yell that out, too!  I love that look.  How many people nowadays would know about the Cunningham's Desoto?  Especially when Fonzie suped (soupped?) it up for Richie's race challenge?  Howard, upon seeing his modified car - "My Desoto!"

Dang birds sure are taking good aim at the new paint. Waiting to see if funds permit tree removal yet this year. While snooping trim, spotted a Chrysler script, a chrome name that goes on the hood, and it had a red background? Maybe it varied by year or model. None of the pictures of '49, even restored ones, show that as having Red on it. I like it as is, and will just leave it all chrome. Will go ahead with the ones on the trunk that have Black when I have a steady hand. It's a beautiful day, so off to a beach party. Projects will have to wait.

Beach party? Hey, I'm old as dirt, but you got it backward per my era. We built the car and the parties came to US! In my case, it was a great HORSE and buggy! Times certainly have changed!

No sand or lake in my backyard The beach is just a few minutes drive for such activity. Only 10 days til Superboat weekend, the only fresh water race in the circuit. Go about 6:30am to get a spot before 60,000 people show up. The buggy has flathead horses.