Passenger door lock 49 B1

On my passenger door ,looking at the inside panel, It looks like there is a small slot that a screw could go through that may prevent the door from locking.

It looks like it might line up with a hole on the inside mechanism. It looks like you might be able to prevent locking the door with the Handle.

That's what I'm trying to figure out how to prevent the door locking, as I have removed the key system.

Thanks for any Help

Passenger door only locks with the key.  Driver side locks by lifting the handle.

Not exactly true. The passenger door will lock by lifting the handle ....... just like the drivers side. Only real difference is that you can open it from the outside with the key.

I use this feature all the time as my truck is equipped with one of the very few " Aussie passenger side" door locks on my drivers side....so I use a key on the drivers door to enter when the cab is locked.

Jeff

I'll look tonight, but if I remember right you CAN'T close the driver door if the handle is in the lock position, I'd say that if your passenger door does the same thing you would HAVE to use the key to lock the door.  I know I went thru that pretty extensivly on my build and I CAN'T lock the keys in FEF, period.

• Like 1

Mark......I think you are fairly young to not be remembering right. :eek: I am pretty certain they all work as I described.

Jeff

You are correct about one thing though. You would have to work pretty hard to lock your keys in the cab. :)

Edited by Jeff Balazs

Hi Jeff, curious, why would you have to work at it hard to lock the keys in the truck if all you have to do is lift the handle and shut the door?

My passenger door on my B1B will remain locked if the handle is in the locked position when I close it but my driver side door will not. If the handle on the drivers door is in the locked position when I close it, the handle on mine automatically unlocks as soon as the door closes which for me is a very good thing because I have been known to leave my keys in it from time to time while I'm working on it. I always try to remember to leave a window open when Im working on our vehicles just in case but luckily for me my truck is smarter than I am   :)

John 

Edited by John Rogers
  • Like 1

I never lock mine.  The foot starters are my anti theft devices. The battery disconnects and potential 45 mph getaway speeds are my backup plans.   If I had a 3 on the tree, hell you could leave that running with the doors open and none of today's young thieves would know how to drive it.

• Like 6

I'll look tonight, but if I remember right you CAN'T close the driver door if the handle is in the lock position, I'd say that if your passenger door does the same thing you would HAVE to use the key to lock the door.  I know I went thru that pretty extensivly on my build and I CAN'T lock the keys in FEF, period.

Mark......I think you are fairly young to not be remembering right. :eek: I am pretty certain they all work as I described.

Jeff

You are correct about one thing though. You would have to work pretty hard to lock your keys in the cab. :)

You are both correct in  a way. You should be able to lock the door from the inside but it has to be closed already. If you push the handle to lock and then try to close it, it will just spring back to unlocked. Mopars did this for many years to keep you from locking your keys in. On the 64 and 66 Fury 4doors you can push the door lock button down on all 4. The back doors will stay locked when closed and the fronts will just pop back up. You have to use a key or lock them from the back doors.

Hey! Brand new member here. Got a 1953 B3B Pickup w/ 3-speed & Fluid Drive. My passenger-side door lock has the key broken off in it. I found the small retaining(?) screw holding it all in, but can't get the screw to budge, and am afraid of breaking it off. Any suggestions on how to go about removing the door lock?

I having a gas going through this truck!!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the pilot hole that was drilled that released the lock cylinder; the yellow dot in the middle of the retaining screw is the reflection of the sun inside the lock cylinder bore...I had to remove the lock years ago to replace a badly worn door latch :cool:

large.sm100_1052.jpg.bb3fa9699a3bf1924ff3e925c1385772.jpg

Edited by JBNeal
revised picture
  • Like 1

My 49 B1B came with no key. I found a lock with key from another Mopar car of that vintage and changed it out. Although I did not need to do it, I removed all the window stuff and took out the door mechanism, which I found rather interesting. The passenger door can be locked from the inside, BUT, that part of the lock does NOT connect to the part operated by the key. The inside handle locks it horizontally, the key locks it vertically. I wish I had taken a picture while it was out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! Brand new member here. Got a 1953 B3B Pickup w/ 3-speed & Fluid Drive. My passenger-side door lock has the key broken off in it. I found the small retaining(?) screw holding it all in, but can't get the screw to budge, and am afraid of breaking it off. Any suggestions on how to go about removing the door lock?

I having a gas going through this truck!!!

Before you do anything , try the easy option first ;   Try to remove the broken old key with a thin ice pick . Another method might be to use part of a coping saw blade to mesh with the teeth on the key to pull out the broken portion .  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...