Chrysler build sheet questions

normanpitkin

hi ,i recently received my copy build sheet from FCA  and i wonder if anyone can answer two questions;

I have paint code 106 for body/fenders/wheel rim -black ,wheel disc red.

Does this mean the wheels are red or black?

Also does anyone have any information regarding the dealer called HW STEVENS in Los Angeles in the 1940's?

The car is a 1941 Windsor convertible.

the car has 16" wheels with normal chrysler script hubcaps ,no full size wheel covers ,so i am a bit confused as to the option listed! i have a 48 new yorker with the same hubcaps which i am led to believe always have the script in black.So what is red? God only knows,not me.

'

This might help for that info http://www.pwchryslerclub.org/Judging%20Guide.pdf

Maybe? A lot of info on here for Dodge and Chrysler even though it is Plymouth club.

As stated at the start i have the original build sheet for the car from the people who made it new in 1941.Therefore ,this is what it had when it left the factory ,I didn't need to be there.See? 

I want to know what they mean by the wheel disc being red,it would appear no -one knows ....yet.

Take one of your hubcaps (disc) and scrape a little corner of the marque script and see if there is red under the black. A 1 quid bottle of ladies nail lacquer will put it right again, or for another quid a bottle of red will restore the factory settings. Please yourself.

just because you have the card from the factory saying it has such and such does not mean it is still on the car many years later was all I was saying...if an item does not match your car today compared to the build card, when and where it was altered is anyone's guess....I was not at any time saying your card was not correct..but by your own admission something is amiss on the car that throws a wrench in the works..

I suspect the hubcaps may have originally had red script BUT everything I have ever read says they were always black script,a minor mystery.Not one of them has any paint ,black or otherwise remaining.My 1948 has black script but was in storage for over 40 years in an unlit garage.

I was wondering the same question as Robin......but here is a hubcap picture from an original but weathered 47 Chrysler......and on the two rims that are missing hubcaps I can see no stripes of any color.  Script is black.100_6532.jpgript is black.

100_6598.jpg

Edited by BobT-47P15

There would be no pinstripes if the wheels were originally fitted with the faux whitewall discs.

But that picture got me thinking that perhaps those discs are what's referred to on William's build sheet. Maybe they could have been specified in red?

More food for thought, from an original brochure...

• An illustration showing wheel centers painted red

and

• Accessories list describing wheel discs

Perhaps the flutes in the wheel discs were painted red?

post-25-0-18244100-1468167792_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-90588500-1468167804_thumb.jpg

Edited by Robin (UK)

This is out of the Town and Country Owners Registry 2006 book......

post-302-0-27198700-1468170626_thumb.jpg

All this has confused me! Is a wheel disc a trim ring .a hubcap ,a beauty trim ,a full wheel disc like a sombrero ? Or does it refer to the actual steel wheel itself? All I know is something was red ! Meanwhile,how can a whole car dealership in Los Angeles have disappeared!! I can find no mention of this dealer ,odd when you consider an oscar winning art director bought a car there ,it must have been pretty high profile!

This is out of the Town and Country Owners Registry 2006 book......

. This 41 seems to have Newport blue body with Ivory wheel discs, like what I mentioned before regarding two color wheels. Nice shots of dashboard also.

http://blog.chrysler.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/1384830_10202028204616614_615861689_n.jpg

http://blog.chrysler.com/history/1941-chrysler-windsor/

Look closer, the outer rim shows body color between the trim ring and the tire.

The wheel is a two piece assembly, the rim where the tire mounts, being riveted to the disc where the lug bolts mount the wheel to the car. This shows the inner disc being ivory and the rim beneath the chrome trim ring as body color. The chart that was posted shows the paint code for the red. Sumac red was convertible only so vermilion red is the other red noted. But pick one that knocks your socks off.

Edited by greg g
  • Like 1

Yep. As Greg points out, the wheels are two-tone.
You'll need black outer rims and red on the centre section.

Then, for original spec, add the pinstripes (I would guess those would be silver or off white)
It'll look really sharp.
Look forward to seeing the finished product.
In the meantime, here are some more reference pix...

post-25-0-26958000-1468240447_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-36062200-1468240455_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-36444700-1468240463_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-02967700-1468240475_thumb.jpg

Edited by Robin (UK)

Ah,now I get it!! masking tape here I come!

Aluminum foil is also handy when painting. Fits in some spots better. Wraps around well. Leaves no residue. Does not pull the paint up.

• Like 2