ECI front Disc brake conversion Kits

grady hawkins

I have been looking at the ECI front disc brake conversion kits. It appears that a number of valves such as "metering",and "residual vales" need to be installed if you use your the stock D-24 master cylinder.

Has anybody installed one of these Kits?

the ad calls for a "complete kit" but does not mention these valves.

not trying to cut you short or anything but coming here asking of what may be included would be a bit sketchy in my opinion...could be in the past they were included...as not specified now..may no longer be or may have never been.  I would think the quickest and surest method to get the answers you need would be to call them.....or whomever the retailer selling of the kit may be that you are looking at..

there are a number of threads concerning the ECI kits that can easily be found with a search....I would suggest you read them and make your call only after being such informed.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Grady: Tim is spot on. When I started on this hobby I was Mr. Question! Tim taught me that I will remember longer information I research than information that is given to me. Put disc or "disc brake" or "residual valve" into the search box and you will find ANSWERS because there are a number of answers regarding your question.

Good luck and don't get paranoid because a well defined question is always welcome.

I bought my kit for my 52 M6 transmission with clutch pedal on the frame in fall of 2015. The kit came with the front disc residual valve. The master has the rear drum residual valve built in. They stopped using metering valves as they couldn't source a quality one. I bought a GM combination valve from Summit for my car. That way I'd have the metering valve and proportioning valve. Otherwise the kit was complete. From my experience and others on the forum, the stock wheels will not fit over the ECI discs. They use large rotors and calipers.

The kits are different depending on year, fluid coupling or not and if the clutch pedal is on the frame or on the master cylinder.

Their kits came with new master and calipers. Not remans.

I installed nicopp lines and stainless steel line nuts. I also used Dot 5 brake fluid.

The only modifications we did was add a stop tab to the brake pedal, made and installed brackets to keep the front brakes hoses away from the tires and painted all the components. My kit didn't need any pedal spacers like in the other install posts. But my car was later with the clutch pedal on the frame.

If you have any questions, I might be of help.

Earl

I have two cars with some stuff from ECI.

A custom job they did for the front of my 1947 Desoto long wheelbase car (read larger everything on chassis and brakes) and their off the shelf 1949 Desoto front brake stuff.

I found that neither of their kits was a pure bolt on. I had to do some modifications and the like.  Once done, they stuff works fine.  However, I had some issues.

ECI provided the information I wanted when asked.  Although on a couple of things it took a few days to get the answers.

On the more "bolt on" conversion for the 1949 we ran into the issue that MOPAR used 3 and possible 4 sets of spindles on that car.  They had slight differences that caused me some heartburn. The spacers in the kit were not correct for the particular spindle I had.  I took detailed measurements down to .001 of an inch and they made me new spacers. Took some time and was a pain but in the end it worked.

On the rear of the 1949, I built my own disc conversion from scratch.  I also did one for the rear of the 1947, I just have not put it on the car yet.

I did not use a split MC on either car.  I did use adaptors to change the inverted flare to AN and then used Russell DOT approved steel braded brake hoses. I have had "new" NAPA hoses fail within 36 months.

I also have remote brake fluid reservoir's on the firewall piped down to the MC's.  That way I can check the fluid level easy every week without pulling up the rugs.

Be advised that the output plug on the stock MC's has the same threading as the top.  You can use a spare output plug to plumb a remote fill.

Also, as others have said, there is a mountain of old posts on this subject and all the vendors who supply kits.  Just search on it.

James

Do you really feel the need to check your brake fluid every week with your modern brake updates? ^^^^

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

I had a good set of 15" rims but they would not clear the calipers. I found a set on a 55 Dodge half ton. They had the clearance I needed. I could have used a spacer but did not want the width or the price.