1948 Dodge D24

CSARebel

Hello, I am new here and have some questions about my 1948 Dodge D24 3 window business Coupe. I have started the work on the car, It sat around neglected sense 1967. I working on the engine right now got the Generator and starter out and being rebuilt to a 12 volt instead of a 6 volt system. The wiring is going to be replaced with new as it is too old and not good enough for higher voltage. The Flathead 6 is Marked D24 - I - 49488 (I) Letter i not #1, I had to get a radiator and  some small parts from local junk yard. How difficult is it to rewire the total car is there a schematic for this ? The car is missing the Instruments (Voltage, Gas, Battery,Water Temp) Can you replace these with modern Digital readout types like I seen for some car /trucks I've seen?post-9309-0-92304500-1467658335_thumb.jpg

Cool project! I recently replaced my 6 volt harness with a new 6 volt kit from a company called Ron Francis Wiring, they do 12 volt as well. I was very happy with the quality of the kit for how reasonably priced it was! It takes time and patience but a total rewire is not out of the realm of somebody with a decent level of mechanical knowledge. The one nice thing about using a kit is each wire is marked every 6 inches or so with what it goes to so running the wires is really pretty easy. This harness sounds about like what you are looking for.

https://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=WR-95

you can upgrade gauges also but often at a loss of the nostalgic look...the D24 is in my opinion the most ornate of the 40's era cars..if going 12 volt you may want to consider a number of the wiring kits for retro fitting...especially with after market gauges...be much easier to accomplish and usually instructions will allow for this with the kit..

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Thanks for the info, While I want to keep the car Original as possible without sacrificing Original 1948 look, The Original cloth wiring is too far gone and newer wire as it won't be 100% Original will be safer and less hazard under road conditions. I love working on these old Cars and trucks. I had a 1953 Dodge 2 door coupe back in the 1980's wish I still had it after my father passed, My mother asked to sell it.

This is how the engine looked when I got the Car, It was missing the starter, Radiator,Water Pump,Fan with Pulley. I have all of the parts now from local junk yard here.post-9309-0-60883000-1467681631_thumb.jpg

Unless your 6V starter needed a rebuild, it would be fine on 12V. I've been using my original 6V starter for at least 5 years since I converted to 12V with no problems. Also, had the original 6V wiring been in good condition, it's more than adequate for 12V sytems. If you're looking for originallity, Rhode Island Wire or YNZ has original looking cloth covered wire harnesses with modern plastic coated (or whatever material is used) wire inside, but very pricey.