What kind of thread? And size?

So I've got hold of a set of front fenders for my 45 dodge a hundred miles up the road from me which in the UK is amazing really!

My pickup currently doesn't have any fenders on so I don't have an idea what bolts hold on the fenders.

As the UK is also mainly metric your average motor store doesn't have imperial bolts so I have to order them.

Does anyone know what size bolt and type of thread? they look about 1/4 inch

Thanks

Jimbo

post-9046-0-05006000-1467570430_thumb.jpeg

post-9046-0-08668000-1467570468_thumb.jpeg

Can't say for sure on your truck but many/most of the bolts holding the fenders of my old Mopar are UNC 1/4-20 though some might be UNC 5/16-18.

Main reason for my reply here though is to point out "Imperial" is probably not a good term for the fasteners. There are/were a number of standards based on the inch system and the threads for them are not all interchangeable. At least not interchangeable if you are worried about having the fasteners perform their best.

In the US the standards set by the S.A.E.  which lead to the Unified Thread Standard predominate while in the U.K. I understand that other standards, like Whitworth, were often used.

The only lower grill I have around is a 40 plymouth but the threads on that one are 5/16-18. I would guess it's the same as the rest of the 39-47 trucks.

It's funny as we here in Australia use thread terms as either 'metric' or 'imperial'.

Looking back at one of the invoices for bolts I purchased in May 2015, the majority of them for the 53 truck build were 5/16 UNF 24(tpi)x3/4(long) - price was $14.58 per 100. I suspect that the early trucks would use the same.

• Like 1

Engine hardware is usually fine thread grade 8. Body hardware is usually coarse thread grade 5 or less. If the bolt or nut requires a 7/16" wrench then it is a 1/4" assuming it meets the national standard. National standard charts are available by doing a google search.

I just checked the fender to grille bolts on my B3B.  Those are 5/16 x 24 and would suspect the same o n your '45.  Use of fine threaded bolts seemed to be very common during that era.  Grab an 8mm x 1.25 bolt and see how well it fits the hole.  About half a thread in will be all you get but if it wants to start, order the 5/16.  Way big, order the 1/4.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...