Engine load through gearbox

Leary

Sorry, by 3 points I meant 3 points along the length of the engine and trans. 1 mount at front of engine, 1 at the engine/trans interface and 1 at the rear of the gearbox.

I have always been concerned by the forces with this combination, hence the thread.

Does anyone have photos of an L6 / T5 combination without using an OEM bell housing installed to a passenger car (vice truck)?

Leary

Leary......I'll be happy to be shown wrong but as far as I am aware since the 1950's the usual engine gearbox mounting has been either 2:1 or 1:2, ie 2 front mounts either side of an engine whether inline or V configuration and 1 under the gearbox or vise versa 1 at the front of the engine and 1 either side of the gearbox/bellhousing making "2" ............I know that there are adaptors to run various gearboxes such as Torqueflites and GM Autos behind mopar sixes but I think they still have some sort of mount off either side of the bellhousing.......I think that using the original mopar bellhousing allows for an easier adaption of the T5 gearbox to the bellhousing than the T5 bellhousing to the mopar engine block........not saying it can't be done just that it seems that it would be more work that apart from the actual adaption of the bellhousing things like the starter as well as the rear engine/gearbox mounting would have to be factored in.......using the mopar bellhousing negates the need for new starter mounting as well as the rear engine/gearbox mounting.............am no expert so would be interested in seeing alternatives................Andyd         

14 hours ago, Leary said:

Sorry, by 3 points I meant 3 points along the length of the engine and trans. 1 mount at front of engine, 1 at the engine/trans interface and 1 at the rear of the gearbox.

I have always been concerned by the forces with this combination, hence the thread.

Does anyone have photos of an L6 / T5 combination without using an OEM bell housing installed to a passenger car (vice truck)?

Leary

This is what I believe will be the problem...3 points in line.

Generally, a 3-point mount means just that, 3 individual mounts. Since day-one, most front engine/rear drive vehicles have 2 mounts at the sides of the engine and one under the trans. These old Mopar, as well as some of the early v-8 cars, have 3-point mounts but in reverse; one up front and 2 at the bell like Don shows in his photos. Adding a fourth mount will result in something binding and the reason that it isn't used.

Making an adapter for a different bellhousing is a great project as long as the starter fits but adapting the trans at the old bell will certainly eliminate the need to reinvent the rear mounts.

• Like 2

all engines will rock with torque application...be you tugging a load or testing your acceleration....many get concerned with failure of a mount....there are straps to check travel, there are interlocking mounts in many application that prevents total loss and of course in some applications there is a dog bone that is shock mounted to check this travel at all times and in my opinion one of the better aux mounts to install if you are concerned.  Again, it is an anti rocking device, usually mounted on the top side of the center line, many smaller turbo engines got these also to keep engine movement at a minimum.  Just an idea to toss about...I just added one of these to a small car I am working on...they are very effective.

• 5 months later...

I figured i'd post a bit of an update to the thread. I was hoping to have the car back on the road by now but, you know.

Anyhoo, rather than mess about with a different cross member, or other mounting points, i fabricated some brackets that attach to the back of the gearbox and utilize the existing mounts and cross member.

To allow the gearbox to have enough clearance i had to take a notch out of the existing cross member. This was closed in and reinforced with 5mm plate. (not shown)

Everything lines up well with OEM angles maintained.

Good question. For the moment, yes. I needed to install the short throw adapter anyway, so as a risk reduction and to get the Dodge back on the road sooner, I just made a simple offset shifter. Its not what i wanted as the gearbox sits higher than i had planned.

I also wanted the car back on the road by 1st weekend in October. That has obviously long since past and as its peak cruisin' season here in Aus, the priority has shifted a bit.

Leary

as anyone that strays from bolt and go that is stock rebuilding and ventures in to the realm of updates and modifications...time and progress is not necessary on the same progress curve....sometimes one has to give into convention while working out out details of the invention... you will get there....timelines and such often take a bit of wind out of your sails as X date flies by due to one reason or another...drop the build dates, won't say you will get the build done faster, but you will feel better about it.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams