Removal

Buick john

Hi everyone I have put some pics up we have a 48 3 window business coupe with fluid drive and we've had a failure on the starter motor it has a solenoid now my question is does the starter motor need to come right out with the solenoid or can the solenoid come out on its own ?. In photos (not very good photos best I could get) there's a yoke assembly with a screw head through it with a chain link can that screw be undone & in another is a bracket with two bolts to the starter body have put a diagram up so you understand

Rgds

post-7863-0-56327600-1467301424_thumb.jpeg

post-7863-0-89622400-1467301500_thumb.jpeg

post-7863-0-41037400-1467301651_thumb.jpeg

post-7863-0-90783400-1467303391_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Removing the whole starter has my vote,also. While off the car you can take it apart to replace worn bushings and brushes,and clean and lube it. Then put the new solenoid on it and bench test it while it's easy to get at.

Unless I miss my guess, there's two more bolts on the other side of the solenoid that you would need to take off also.  Let me know if I'm right when you have the starter out on the bench.

Remove the starter.

Watching your progress. Just pulled the starter on a 49 Chrysler, the solenoid looks 'similar'. Will get it tested today. The solenoid seemed to be working, but not engaging the gear. Checking options, I do see solenoids, and rebuild kits. But if something Kaput inside, where does one find a rebuilt starter? Don't see a part number, or what years may interchange. Thanks.

Watching your progress. Just pulled the starter on a 49 Chrysler, the solenoid looks 'similar'. Will get it tested today. The solenoid seemed to be working, but not engaging the gear. Checking options, I do see solenoids, and rebuild kits. But if something Kaput inside, where does one find a rebuilt starter? Don't see a part number, or what years may interchange. Thanks.

You can go to most NAPA stores and order parts like a new solenoid,new brushes,and new bushings. Anything needing repair beyond that needs specialized tools and has to be done at a shop that rebuilds starters,generators,and alternators.

Most towns big enough to have a Wal-Mart have at least one starter,generator,alternator repair shop.

I had one rebuilt by a pro shop about a year ago that even needed new field cores and a new armature because the previous owner decided to wire wheel the armature when he "rebuilt" it at home,and it was shorting out inside. Cost me right at $98 including taxes. Not as bad as it sounds because I had no shipping fees to pay and ended up with a completely new starter.

I used to be able to go to that same shop and buy parts to rebuild my own starters,generators,and alternators at home,but the old owner retired and the employee that bought the shop refuses to sell parts anymore. I used to rebuild 100 amp alternators with 13 dollar kits. Now I have to pay 130 bucks for a rebuilt alternator because I can't find those kits for sale anywhere anymore. I was even buying them from CarQuest at one time and they don't even list them anymore. Burnt my butt to pay 130 bucks for a alternator rebuilt in China for a Ranger a couple of years ago.

Edited by knuckleharley

This town is a dud for repairs, nothing local. (nobody within 50 miles will cut or install glass either). But starter is at a shop now, will pick up Tue. due to holiday. Good thought, will ask if they sell parts too.

Right guys starter motor with solenoid fitted is unbolted it moves forward but will not drop down now in the it says that when its unbolted it will drop down & clears the oil filter casing & oil pipes not a chance So someone must of had this problem Rgds

Right guys starter motor with solenoid fitted is unbolted it moves forward but will not drop down now in the it says that when its unbolted it will drop down & clears the oil filter casing & oil pipes not a chance So someone must of had this problem Rgds

I have a 42 business coupe,and had no problem pulling my starter out from the bottom. I did have to disconnect one side of one part of the front suspension to get the starter to drop down,but with a pickle fork and a BFH,that's no big deal.

Yep ended up taking the oil filter bowl out lol. In manual it say should clear not a chance still it's out now and

This town is a dud for repairs, nothing local. (nobody within 50 miles will cut or install glass either). But starter is at a shop now, will pick up Tue. due to holiday. Good thought, will ask if they sell parts too.

I had a similar situation when I lived in north central Missouri.  Local "glass guy" did mostly oil changes and no clue how to replace flat glass.  I ended up going to KC to have replaced.