Need Help water pump for 39 Desoto

desoto1939

I need some special help for a water pump to fit a 39 Desoto.  On my 39 Desoto there are three studs that come throught the lower body of the WP.  When looking directly at the WP witht he  flange facing you go to the left side of the pump and where the outlet return water outlet just below this is a hole for a stud to come through the body.  On my car the thickness at this point on the body with the backing plate installed is only 1/2 inch. I have a more modern pump that I got several years ago at Hershey but found out that at the same location the body is now thicker and the stud will not protrude out of the body so I can not  bolt it down.

The real other issue is that I was getting ready to attend the National Desoto convention and car show during the week of July 5-9th in Baltimore MD.

I have called around and can not find a replacement pump that is only the 1/2 inch thickness at the left side of the pump.  If anyone has a pump that they would sell me I wuld greatly appreciate it.  I have search the usual on line mopar venders any they only have the larger bodied wp. even NAPA and I also touched base with Art Gold who does WP and Fuel Pumps and no luck. 

Can anyone help me with this situation.  I could try to pull the stud out of the from of the block but it has been in the car for as long as I have had the car which is 30 Years and it would be my luck to breakoff in the block so I do not want to try that method, prefer the correct water pump.  Might have a lead on a pump but not sure. Also have searched Ebay and other areas

I KNOW THIS SHOULD BE IN THE WANTED SECTION BUT IN DIRE NEED F THE WP SO I CAN ATTEND THE NATIONAL DESOTO CONVENTION DURING THE WEEK OF JULY 5TH TO THE 11TH

Rich Hartung I AM UP TIL 11 pm EVERY NIGHT.

39 Desoto water pump early version

desoto1939@aol.com

CELL: 484-431-8157

home: 610-630-9188

LIVE NEAR PHIILADELPHIA PA

Rich,you seem to have two viable options. You can grind down the pad where the nut and washer sits on the newer water pump so that the existing stud in your engine is long enough,or you can try to use a little heat and a stud puller to pull your old stud out and replace it with a longer one.

If it breaks out you can always drill it out and repair it with heli-coils and then use a new longer stud.

Rich........is there enough "meat" in the housing body to allow you to have the casting boss milled down?.......I haven't a front on pic of the water pump but seem to remember that the boss under the water outlet is in a hard to get at spot and you may not be able to get a grinding wheel in there......that's why I suggested the milling machine method, you'd need to check the inside of the pump to see if there is enough clearance or meat as I called it.......and I suppose that there isn't really enough clearance to get a drill in there to drill out a broken stud.......any good local machine shop close by?........andyd

Must have been a change after 1939 from studs to bolts. Both my 53 Desoto engine and my 48 Dodge engine use bolts not studs.  I checked the 3 pumps I have and they are all the same as the one pictured below. I would be hesitant to mill the pump housing as you may strike water. There is a tool for stud removal as pictured below.

water_pmp.jpg

Cam_is_in.jpg

stud_remover.jpg

Thanks for all of the sugeestions from everyone.  I have Great news, I found a gentleman that has for new pumps that have the sealed bearing and the  old style housing. I have purchased one of the pumps and its on its way to my house. It if fits and he also measure the boss Then I will order the remaining three from him.  Hope to have the car back together by this Friday afternoon and report on my progress.  Don thanks for the picture of the stud remover. It would be just my luck that the stud would break off.

Rich Hartung

• Like 1

No not going to hoard them but will have a couple incase the early car owners that have this style wp could have a resource if they need one.  I have found out a long time ago that it is better to be prepared then in needed and not have something that is need right now.  I thought I had the correctWp but learned something new this week about the repo waterpumps.

Rich Hartung

I can see it now....lol......"Rich Hartung the water pump king says......".........lol......only kidding Rich.......I fully understand the logic, have done it myself a few times..........that pic that Don posted shows me that I was wrong re the space to grind the boss but as he pointed out you would have to check the casting wall thickness which may not have been enough.....sounds like you have got the problem sorted out tho'........andyd

The wp is installed and is working fine. Thanks for all the suggestions and help. The reason it was leaking is there was some leftover permatex sealent on the engine block. Not enough to see but just enounh to not make a tight seal.  Scraped the engine block and sanded the ares so it was clean metal. Put the gasket on and used Dons suggestion to apply some grease.  Also used two gaskets to make sure.  Now I should be able to drive the car to Baltimore Md on Wed.  The National Desoto convention will be in Tamonimum MD and runs from 7-5-16 to 7-10.  The car show will be a joint venture with the NDC and also the Airflow club of America..

Wish me good luck and a safe trip will take some pictures and post when I get back.  One day we are goi9ng to the TV studio of Road and Track in Mrylad.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

cell 484-431-8157