Flathead 6 is toast. Anyone swap a jeep drive train into 49 Windsor.

Becuzican

Measure the head front to back on your Chrysler. Should be 25". Next do the same with the truck engine. Will be 23" with a lot less horse power than your original engine. The shorter engine can be made to fit but will require modifications. You need to find a 25" engine.

I agree with Don.  You need to find yourself a 25" engine. In the long run you will save much time and effort. The right length engine is a straight swap with no modifications needed. You will not be happy with the shorter engine in the Chrysler. Yours is a problem we never have in Canada as ALL Mopars built here since 1938 through 1959 have the longer 25" engine which makes finding a replacement very easy. Too bad you are not closer as I have two good engines in my garage looking for a home. Good luck with your project.

• 1 year later...

That dodge engine doesn't have the torque or power needed for the chrysler IMO.

It will work and it will fit your Fluid drive unit but it is 2 inches shorter.   Better to go for the big block, another 251  or better still a 264  from a 53 or 4.  These will give better performance in a heavy car.

...eeewwww....attitude......

If someone buys a Chrysler then they have a right to expect a Chrysler engine unless they know in advance it is not original. Not everyone who might look at the car will be as smart as you and can tell the difference.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wayfarer said:

...eeewwww....attitude......

If someone buys a Chrysler then they have a right to expect a Chrysler engine unless they know in advance it is not original. Not everyone who might look at the car will be as smart as you and can tell the difference.

yup learn from GM who got sued over putting chevy engines into oldsmobiles etc..

2 hours ago, Young Ed said:

yup learn from GM who got sued over putting chevy engines into oldsmobiles etc..

I had forgotten all about that.

Wasn't that the start of the downfall of Oldsmobile and Pontiac? WTH would class-conscious geezers spend the big extra bucks to buy a Pontiac or Olds,when it was just a Chevrolet wearing a fancy dress?

• Like 1

I'd sue if I found a little Dodge six under my Chrysler's dress!!!!

56 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

I had forgotten all about that.

Wasn't that the start of the downfall of Oldsmobile and Pontiac? WTH would class-conscious geezers spend the big extra bucks to buy a Pontiac or Olds,when it was just a Chevrolet wearing a fancy dress?

It was probably the early start of it. Pretty soon the drivetrains were all the same and it was just different on the outside. Like my Mazda that's mostly Ford. Even the dipstick says FoMoCo