Flathead 6 is toast. Anyone swap a jeep drive train into 49 Windsor.

Becuzican

Hi flathead has a busted block. Has anyone swapped a jeep straight six drivetrain. If so any caveats.

Thanks.

It would probably help if you were to define which straight 6 Jeep drivetrain you are talking about. The old OHC inline 6 from the 60's and 70's had a lot of potential,but I suspect installing one would be very different than installing one of the modern 232-252 OHV inline 6's.

Which would be better. Am looking for some advice from you weathered gurus. We just acquired the car and it is pretty good shape except for the engine. Big hole in the block. Have been looking for a flathead replacement but have notice on various forums they are hard to find. I know the engine bay is narrow and was Hoping a more modern sraight 6 might be a solution.

Jeep 4 liter from Cherokees is a pretty bullet proof engine, but they are long. A good set of measurements of the Windsor's engine bay and a trip to the pick and pull or wrecking yard should answer your will it fit questions. Mounts, cross members etc you will probably on your own to fabricate. And you should probably get the rear end from the donor if you need e brakes. Wonder if you could get more insight from the in liners website?

Jeep 4 liter from Cherokees is a pretty bullet proof engine, but they are long. . . 

Been a while since I sold my '91 Cherokee with the inline 6 but I recall measuring the length of it once and found it was longer than the 25" Chrysler/DeSoto/Canadian blocks. Might be wrong on that but I am sure it is longer than the 23" Plymouth and US Dodge blocks.

There is a wrecking yard in pella ia that has several 50s Chrysler sixes in it, I'd even be willing to help you pull it just avoid seeing a nice car get modified

• Like 3

There is a wrecking yard in pella ia that has several 50s Chrysler sixes in it, I'd even be willing to help you pull it just avoid seeing a nice car get modified

Thanks, do you know the name of it. Would prefer to keep it stock as well. Edited by Becuzican

Thanks, would you know the name of the junkyard... Would prefer to replace it too.

Yes it's dougs four wheels, I'll dig up a number and pm you, he has a 49 plymouth with a spitfire in it and several others out in the field

Yeah for BLUE '49 4 doors. Is that Chrysler Logo in the top bumper bracket metal? I had to make one. Yours looks nice, and there's a '49 in the classifieds that is being sold for parts. I'll be following your progress.

Don, I'm more inclined to think it's a Chevy inline, 250 or 292 based.

Dave, You are correct. I believe I correctly identified the engine when I first took the photo but that was a couple years ago so I plead old-timers ailment. But that is the first time I ever observed an overhead 6 re power job. I do recall talking to the owner and he said he already had the engine so the swap was done on a low budget.

Plyroadking, what yards are in Des Moines?  Any 1946, 47, 48 Desoto S-11's?  I'm not far.

I haven't found much in Des Moines, there's dougs four wheelers in pella, I bought a dozen bullseye headlights from him that I pulled out of his late 40s early 50s Mopar stuff. I don't remember exactly what he has. There's "rip off Ronnie's" up by Waverly, he has some 50's stuff, I have not been to his yard yet, he's a Ford guy that apparently sells gold plated used Ford parts and is very reasonable on the "inferior makes" of parts. There's also a guy by Dallas Center that inherited his father's sale barn and several acres of cars. I've been to the barn and it's mostly 20s-40s stuff, pretty well picked over except for theres a lot of off brand stuff that you'd have to own one to know what it is. Did have some Mopar stuff, I'd like to go back again with more flashlight batteries, coveralls, and dust masks. I have not been out to the cars yet but he talked like his dad leaned towards Chrysler products. He's kinda an odd ball about the place, a couple friends have been out there and he locks the gate behind you and gives you his phone number to call and he will eventually head back and let you out. If your interested and have some free time I can see about setting something up with him to check the place out.

It would, of course, be a lot less work to simply replace the L6 with another L6 assuming that the trans is in good operating condition; but, how do you know what the trans is like if the engine is dead? Are you willing to make the engine swap with the possibility of needing to remove everything a second time to replace the trans?

Keep in mind that your car has the 250 ci engine, also called a 25", (or at least should have) so you will need to keep in mind what engines you consider.

Keep your tape measure handy as you poke around the bone yards if a newer engine is considered; most ohv I-6 will be much longer than the L6.

Yeah for BLUE '49 4 doors. Is that Chrysler Logo in the top bumper bracket metal? I had to make one. Yours looks nice, and there's a '49 in the classifieds that is being sold for parts. I'll be following your progress.

No not metal. Bakelite or plastic. Will 3D print a replacement when time for that.

It would, of course, be a lot less work to simply replace the L6 with another L6 assuming that the trans is in good operating condition; but, how do you know what the trans is like if the engine is dead? Are you willing to make the engine swap with the possibility of needing to remove everything a second time to replace the trans?

Keep in mind that your car has the 250 ci engine, also called a 25", (or at least should have) so you will need to keep in mind what engines you consider.

Keep your tape measure handy as you poke around the bone yards if a newer engine is considered; most ohv I-6 will be much longer than the L6.

thanks good info.

NO... NO...NO replace the motor with another Chrysler six. Way too much to change for zero benefit.