first try at wide whites

thebelvedereman

Back in about 1963 or so, I owned this 47 P15 coupe, purchased from our local Chevy dealer for the

princely sum of $35.   It ran and drove, but was kinda run down in general......had been used on a farm

for several years.  I used some whitewall paint I probably got at my local Western Auto store - didn't look

as good as "real" whitewalls, but sufficed for me.  They eventually faded and began to crack some as the

tires were old.  But, it worked for a while.  Also had 1959 Dodge Lancer flipper wheel covers.

DSC05834.jpg

• Like 1

We used to use portawalls but they always stuck out from the tire. Wonder how they would do if you used rubber cement under them with the wheels off and let it setup good before driving on them.

Getting those porta walls to lie down just right was always a trick.  Patience and a rubber mallet is what I used

back in the early 60s.   I put a set of 14s on this lovely 1960 Chevy wagon my Dad purchased new. Turquoise

with a white top .  Also ended

up with spinner wheel covers, and  1959 Caddy tail light lenses when I got done with it.  He was pretty generous

about letting me mess with the family car.

100_3105.jpg

ok , I bought the first set of bfgs for $50 and the nylon/rubber spray paint for $9, failure, then I dug out my cop wheels and got a set of almost new Daytons for $150 and $30 for 2 cans of ranger tire paint, after I put the first coat on I was very disappointed, I followed instructions exactly, said it would be smooth and easy, but looked like crap, after 3 more coats they look good, but you can still see brush marks if you look close, so all told, around $260 and an s load of work for "fair" results, I think I'll just buy them next time, but it was worth a try :)

post-9216-0-94536300-1468124586_thumb.jpg

post-9216-0-17946900-1468124607_thumb.jpg

post-9216-0-57355600-1468124623_thumb.jpg

Edited by thebelvedereman
  • Like 1

Definitely a learning experience.  Now you know.

There have been some stories on the H A M B in the past about how guys did their paint-on

whitewalls.  Some seemed to get decent results at first, but don't know how they have held

up. 

• 2 months later...

There are quite a few video's on YouTube about buying white lettered tires and sanding the letters down until they are level with the sidewalls and then sanding the sidewalls as well, because when they add white letters they do the whole sidewall white underneath.

Im running porto walls on modern radials. Its a good alternative if you don't want to spend the money for a nice set of wide whites. And yes I've heard people gluing them down... Mine are not glued and they sit flat and look great! Ive gotten many compliments B)

I'm a bit confused on the type of paint you used.  Did you use the white  "Flex Seal" stuff they advertise on TV? Maybe that would work as it stays flexible, IF it would adhere to the tire.

In my first attempt I used some rubber/vinyl paint, but my second attempt I used "ranger" whitewall paint, supposedly the best whitewall paint made, and very expensive, followed directions to the letter, started peeling/flaking within 5 minutes in my first ride with tires on car, very disappointing