first try at wide whites

thebelvedereman

so I've been looking into wide whites, I want to have radials, the cheapest I found were right around $290 each, I've been seeing all these vids on YouTube about different ways to make whitewalls, so I figured I'd give it a go, I bought a decent set of 4 bfg t/a's for $50 and started today, I got 2 done, I sanded down the sidewalls like they said, but I left the letters instead of sanding them off, then I cleaned them with mineral spirits, there were 20 different ways people did the next step, some said cover the tires with painters tape then make a jig to cut the tape in a perfect circle, the one I used said to heat up electrical tape then to make your circle with that, then to overlap it with painters tape, which I did, I then put 5 coats of flex/rubber paint on allowing a couple hour to dry between coats, they came out nice, I'm going to mount them tomorrow and see if they crack, or stay together

the tires are 235/60's and everything I've read about portawalls says if you put them on 60 series tires they won't stay secure because the sidewalls are too short, not sure, but this seems to be OK, I've been flexing them all around the past 2 days, and they seem fine, no cracks at all, I've been so busy I haven't had time to mount them yet, maybe tomorrow

Bummer, sorry to hear.  Do you think they would have held up if you did the 'white walling' after the tire was already mounted?  Mounting usually flexes the tire more than driving on them. 

• Like 1

sorry I was really mad, and wanted to forget it for a while, in my opinion there were several problems, first , the tires are to big for the rims, the first one mounted right up, but I fought with the one that cracked for about 15 minutes, (235/60/15 on the stock rim) second I think I should have used the brush on rubber, I used rubber/nylon spray paint , and third I had to put over 100 lbs to get it to seat, iI'm not giving up, I just found a pair of 15x7 cop wheels, I'm going to sand the tires back down, try the brush on stuff and see what happens, here's a pic of my 48, I just painted the column and the dash then put the dash back in, hard to tell from the pics but its early sixties Mopar big block aqua with is the color I'm painting the car also

post-9216-0-69006200-1467225677_thumb.jpg

post-9216-0-80315900-1467225695_thumb.jpg

post-9216-0-30480400-1467225715_thumb.jpg

post-9216-0-74131200-1467225731_thumb.jpg

Edited by thebelvedereman

Good to hear you are not giving up.  Stock rims are 4.5" wide? 

Is the brush on stuff more like the rubberize white roofing paint?  I've seen that stuff get pretty shiny and it has some flex to it.   

Dash is looking good.

also got my new shifter in the mail today, a 68 sweptline dash shifter, I'm putting it in the radio hole, its a perfect fit, I would keep the column shift but I want to put the shift handle my grandfather made me for my first car in, its solid brass and weighes like 10lbs I pulled the pentastar off the pass fender (66 belvedere) and he machined it into the handle, I just have to get an adapter made :)

post-9216-0-42356000-1467239964_thumb.jpg

post-9216-0-97528100-1467239983_thumb.jpg

post-9216-0-81742500-1467240004_thumb.jpg

OK, here we go again, starting with a clean slate, I got my new "white wall" paint today from Ranger paint, supposed to be the best, I bought 4 more tires in a little better shape, and had them mounted and balanced on my cop wheels, and I'm painting them in the morning, hopefully I have better results, on another note, the tire that I painted that went right on has been riding in the back of my jeep for a week, and apparently the other paint doesn't like heat either, if this happens with the new stuff I give up :)

post-9216-0-94329800-1467761504_thumb.jpg

post-9216-0-67442900-1467761655_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I bought a set of 4 B F Goodrich branded radial wide whites, size 2.15 x 15, from Coker when at the Carlisle

swap meet last year for about $250 each.  As I was there with a  car, I transported them home, thereby

saving the shipping cost.  The reason I paid a little more for the Goodriches over the Coker house

brand tire is due to a previous experience where the black bled through the whitewall, which is 

really a pain to deal with.  Maybe today's Coker brands are better than the ones I had several years ago.

DSC03961.jpg

Edited by BobT-47P15

Many years ago, there was a tire shop here whose owner had a grinding machine.....which would grind the black rubber

off to reveal the white beneath it.......he would widen  your original narrow white stripe.   It was not quite as wide as the

ones I have now, but it was an interesting look in my opinion.  I ran them on a 1967 Ford convertible I had at the time.

I called that man sometime back, and he had long since closed the tire business and had sold that grinder.  Ah well, 

you never know.........