Oil Pan Orientation

After doing a bit of research on my '54 straight six, I can't seem to figure out what the deal is with oil pans.  The lower-hanging part of the pan that contains the float is facing the rear of the truck.  Unfortunately, this places it directly over the front axle. Obviously, the oil pan became dented in at some point because of this.  Logic tells me that the pan should be oriented the other way around.

It seems that every engine diagram I find online has the pan in a different orientation. Here are some examples:  http://www.allpar.com/mopar/flat.html

Why the differences and is mine correct?

-Bill

Edited by Bill Parsons

sounds oddly familiar.  My truck at some point was in an accident early on and got a car engine as a replacment, which meant the oil sump was in the wrong orientation.  Swapped a few parts and I was good to go.

on the B series the low hanger should be in the front.

My sump is right over the axle on mine...which sucks because it's been dented once from a hard hit..but my engine block/pan was from a combine..and my 218 pan was full of connecting rod holes, so it wasn't going to work.

Truck oil pans are sump forward. You probably have a car sump......likely swapped in at a later date.

Jeff

Not all trucks. The 39-47s use the rear sump same as a car. 

Not all trucks. The 39-47s use the rear sump same as a car. 

Ok Ed you got me......shoulda said B and C series trucks. :huh:

At any rate the only real fix is to find a truck pan and swap it in. As Mark has said it is an easy conversion and takes care of the problem properly.

Jeff

• Like 1

Swap the oil pick up and pan...easy preasy

The block markings indicate that the engine is from a 53 DeSoto Powermaster.  That would make my engine a 250ci.  Would a truck pan have the same dimensions and would the holes line up?

The US built trucks with the shorter 218/230 engines and the front sump pans fitting on the longer engine?

You will of course need as mentioned, a 25 inch truck oil pan, easy in Canada, as all were 25 inch engines, the pick up assembly, and swap, not difficult.

or do as others have suggested, bigger bump stops, I would lean toward a truck oil pan.

You can get 1 from Canada no problem, or off the big trucks in the USA..

Check with Tim Kingsbury or George Asche in Fertigs Pa, PM Tim on this website, if you want, he can hook you up possibly. 

Edited by Fargos-Go-Far