dynoed flathead?

casper50

Owner says 200 HP. Built by an engine shop in Prince George British Columbia.

Derek Shields

It is ready to go, just waiting for the car to come out of the body shop, to get reunited to the engine bay, where it has always been. Parts are tougher to find for these 25" big blocks, but worth the 200 HP!

I'm skeptical about that number for a 230. Mine chassis dynoed at 127 rear wheel HP at 3300 rpm, 70 more at the flywheel seems a bit high.

Edited by greg g

Now I am even more confused. Film title says 53 Plymouth 230" engine. But this Derek guy says "parts are tougher to find for these 25" big blocks" I did not think 25" blocks ever came with a 230" displacement engine. But I am not all that familiar with what engines the Canadian plant made. 

The Canadian engine was a 228    3 3/8 by 4 1/4    they have been erroneously called a 230 but that is confusing.  An overbore would certainly put it past 230  .o60 would make it 236.     Despite his claims to have 200 hp, it is still a sweet unit.

That sure was a let down...I want to hear and see 6000 RPM and 200 HP.

• Like 3

"Really what makes you say this?"

Because, you start putting high comp heads, pistons, carbs and all the rest to double the stock hp on just about any engine and the first thing to come apart will be the bottom end.  Let alone a 230 with a 4+ inch stroke with all that poundage whirrling around.

Just listen to it rev...sounds labored to me.  Not a lot of throttle response for something putting out double the hp.

Nothing was mentioned of any bottom end mods. Bottom ends on other modded engines with stock crank, rods, flywheels etc go up in smoke all the time....with much lighter components with much shorter strokes. Spend some time at the local drag strip some time.  6000 rpm AND 200 hp is an enormous strain to put on basically 1935 technology and expecting it to live long and prosper.

Without the proper ($$$$) components, my money says it will have a very short life on a dyno.

Not trying to start something. Just bench racin' here....with a lot of years of observing ...

• Like 1

That sure was a let down...I want to hear and see 6000 RPM and 200 HP.

LOL! You do have a mean streak in you,don't you?

I don't want to be within the blast area of any flat 6 turning 6 grand.

"Really what makes you say this?"

Because, you start putting high comp heads, pistons, carbs and all the rest to double the stock hp on just about any engine and the first thing to come apart will be the bottom end.  Let alone a 230 with a 4+ inch stroke with all that poundage whirrling around.

Just listen to it rev...sounds labored to me.  Not a lot of throttle response for something putting out double the hp.

Nothing was mentioned of any bottom end mods. Bottom ends on other modded engines with stock crank, rods, flywheels etc go up in smoke all the time....with much lighter components with much shorter strokes. Spend some time at the local drag strip some time.  6000 rpm AND 200 hp is an enormous strain to put on basically 1935 technology and expecting it to live long and prosper.

Without the proper ($$$$) components, my money says it will have a very short life on a dyno.

Not trying to start something. Just bench racin' here....with a lot of years of observing ...

Oh okay, didn't think you were trying to start something, thought perhaps you knew about the build, the internals, crank mods bearing mods etc.

Not sure where the 200 hp ans 6000 redline came from, but the engine was hardly revved up in the 2 vids i watched..

no real specs are known/given for this build but given the suggested HP output one is going to expect a cam that will operate well above stock HP/RPM curve chart....another question of interest would be the torque curve...between idle and safety net 3600 RPM where it most likely will operate on the street...wonder if it is a fair increase and if it remained relatively flat..would think the odds of this engine doing anything other than garner oohs and ahs at the shows is probably slim.  Man states parts are hard to find and costly when found would suggest a conservative approach toward any all out performance runs....it is a looker, I will say that...