Andy & NOS Parts

Bingster

Has anybody bought NOS parts from Andy Bernbaum?  I never really think of them for NOS, but they have something I need. But after the other fella in the radiator hose elbow post said his Bernbaum elbow was crap, I just have to think twice .

If they have something you need why don't you call and talk to them to answer your questions? I don't think anyone here has an answer to your question. Bashing a vendor before a purchase or before talking to them makes no sense to me. Why do you want someone to do your homework for you?

• Like 3

Bingster:  Ihave to agree with Don on his reply. Call the vendor to see if they have what you are looking for. Some of us have purchased parts from Bernbaum when Andy was the owner, but Andy sold the business to another person so to comment on the new owner is not fair to him unless you have already dealt with the new owner and I think his name is Chris.  He is trying to serve everyone and sounds as if he is a fair guy.

Call and get the part and then make a comment on to how the part fit or did not fit only you can make the comments and not anyone else on your behalf. 

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

I've order from Bernbaum several times in the past 10 months and was displeased with their parts each time. Now I won't buy unless I have no choice to. Watch, Mopar direct on eBay is Bernbaum under a different name. Kinda shady to have two different names. I never dealt with the company when the original owner had it. Also the staff always seem bothered when you call. They sigh and you can even sense their eyes rolling cause you called.

I see no reason to ask about a vendor or sharing your experience. I'd also be highly concerned buying NOS as NOS always brings a high premium.

All the parts I bought weren't NOS. So I can't help you on that part of their business.

Earl

Edited by mopar_earl

I'm with Don.  If you're looking for NOS, you should call and ask a few questions.  AB has always advertised that they have some NOS, but also to call about it.  I bought some NOS parts from AB when Andy still owned it, had to call because they weren't in the catalog and he was one of the only games in town at the time.  I got what I needed, no problems.  I'm always skeptical about parts advertised as "NOS" anyway, I don't think NOS means quite what it used to lately. 

If its truly a NOS part, then you should be fine.  Its all the cheap Chinese new stuff that seem to be of low quality.  I've found that if you need new parts, try and get them from NAPA.  I have had better luck.  Trouble is you need to be able to look at different years.  They start running out of parts on anything older than 1950.  Luckily a lot of that will cross over. 

I've ordered from Bernbaum a few times. I never had a complaint with his parts, and acfually found Chris to be extremely helpful, especially when trying to chase down weatherstrip for my car. Give him a call and ask about the parts you are looking for.

• Like 1

Has anybody bought NOS parts from Andy Bernbaum?  I never really think of them for NOS, but they have something I need. But after the other fella in the radiator hose elbow post said his Bernbaum elbow was crap, I just have to think twice .

Bingster was asking for other people's experiences with Bernbaum. I didn't see him bashing anyone. Isn't this what these forums should be about; people with old vintage cars helping each other out?

John R

• Like 3

Thank you, John!  You're exactly right.  And yes, I did talk with someone at AB and they do have the NOS part I want.  All I was asking is if anybody had bought NOS from AB and it turned out not to be NOS.

I'll tell ya, I've been on this forum for about seven or eight years now, and even back then there was a lot of AB bashing!!  I have purchased parts from AB, but as I haven't put them on the car yet, I cannot tell their quality.  The gist of what I got from what you folks said back then - and I was a newbie soaking up every word you said - was the word "overseas."  If I got a bad taste for AB it wasn't from me.  It was from this forum.

Why am I being singled out here?

I know that a new fella has bought the company, but his inventory, isn't it about the same?  Also, going back to the elbow the guy bought, if a company sells products like that, then why shouldn't I be cautious?  I'm not personally bashing anybody.  They're a company and their reputation is built on the quality of parts they sell.  And as I said, this goes back a long way with them. 

So, read my post carefully.  I said not one word good or bad about AB.  I only referred to another poster who was not happy with his purchase.  Since his post is now public knowledge, what exactly have I done wrong?  I actually am looking for an elbow like he purchased from AB - and I'm very grateful to him for having saved me $40. Really now, who among you would not be?

And by the way, have you noticed how often lately that posters have begun apologizing right off the top for asking their questions?  I have to wonder why they feel they have to do this.  Could it be that they have been watching this forum and are afraid to be told to go and "look it up themselves," that it's all been said before?  Nobody needs their "dad" on here telling them how stupid they are for asking a question.

John has it right.  Isn't that what this forum is all about?

• Like 3

as a forum in general the very answers you got are as typical as the questions asked....lots and lots of repeated second hand info of readers who have not so much bought, but heard of those that did..I also have to question the application of a new part to an old part not knowing the condition of the old part it is being mated to....just a bit more food for thought...

Glad you made the phone call and resolved your question. I have always found it faster and easier to go directly to the source for an answer than to ask others to do the research for you. You may not like the fact that I suggested you call them but had you not called them you would still not have an answer so I believe my suggestion was helpful to you. And that is what this forum is all about.

• Like 1

sounds to me as if he called before he posted here. He was just asking to see if the NOS parts were good or not.

That's my understanding when he posted. He said they had what he needed but wanted opinions on their services/NOS side of their business.

Earl

Just for the record, 'cause someone asked, here's the part in question.

post-548-0-90840300-1466637768_thumb.jpg

Parking lamp lens retainer for a Desoto S-11.  Yes, I see that there is a pair on ebay, but they want $80 plus $14 shipping and I only need one.

AB says they have a NOS for $45.  Yes, a fair price.  I just hate the hassle of returning things.

And when I said "That's it," I meant that the last two posters hit the nail on the head.

• Like 1

I think that this thread has gotten very off topic and it isn't too productive to continue.  I have a feeling that the moderator has his finger on the button to close this thread anyway, so let's bow out gracefully and call it a draw!

You ran afoul of the Curmudgeon Crew. Every board has an auto-attack grump team. Mostly all you can do is ignore list them, otherwise you'll spend lifetimes reading admonitions to search forum/manual or just here....trying to defend a simple question! Good luck with your part!!

• Like 2

Moparearl, I see you live in Saint Thomas, PA.  I used to live down the street in the 90s on a farm in Greencastle, a mile or three from S.T.  On the down hill curve of  Valley Camp Road just past the old junk yard on the corner..  My 37 Dodge was hit by the drunk in 91 in downtown chambersburg and stored temporarily on the the west end of Cburg (Across street from the old Chrysler dealer) on Route 30 as your heading toward St Thomas. 

Hell, we mighta passed each other a buncha times!  Is the little diner still open at the top of Rt 30 on the west end of Cburg just before you leave town?  Always had the best bisquets and gravy for breakfast!

Edited by Sharps40
  • Like 1

I knew when I saw your name Don, that I was going to get a reprimand of some sort!!  Thanks. I'll just order my part and find out for myself like the guy who ordered the elbow!!

Bingster:  Ihave to agree with Don on his reply. Call the vendor to see if they have what you are looking for. Some of us have purchased parts from Bernbaum when Andy was the owner, but Andy sold the business to another person so to comment on the new owner is not fair to him unless you have already dealt with the new owner and I think his name is Chris.  He is trying to serve everyone and sounds as if he is a fair guy.

Call and get the part and then make a comment on to how the part fit or did not fit only you can make the comments and not anyone else on your behalf. 

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

While you are calling,ask about his return policy if you are unhappy with the part. Lots of these "problems" wouldn't really be problems if people would check into returning parts for a refund if unhappy with them. Yeah,you lose shipping,but condition on NOS or just plain old stock parts is always an opinion,and if yours is different than his,at least you get most of your money back.

And by the way, have you noticed how often lately that posters have begun apologizing right off the top for asking their questions?  I have to wonder why they feel they have to do this.  Could it be that they have been watching this forum and are afraid to be told to go and "look it up themselves," that it's all been said before?  Nobody needs their "dad" on here telling them how stupid they are for asking a question.

I'm with ya 100 percent on that one,and it's not just one poster. I doubt anyone wants to come across as being that harsh,but that sure does seem to be the way it comes across.

• Like 1

Moparearl, I see you live in Saint Thomas, PA. I used to live down the street in the 90s on a farm in Greencastle, a mile or three from S.T. On the down hill curve of Valley Camp Road just past the old junk yard on the corner.. My 37 Dodge was hit by the drunk in 91 in downtown chambersburg and stored temporarily on the the west end of Cburg (Across street from the old Chrysler dealer) on Route 30 as your heading toward St Thomas.

Hell, we mighta passed each other a buncha times! Is the little diner still open at the top of Rt 30 on the west end of Cburg just before you leave town? Always had the best bisquets and gravy for breakfast!

Cool, yes that dinner is still open on radio hill. 30 west diner it's called. Work in Greencastle and my girlfriend lives in Greencastle. Small world.

That Chrysler dealer is still going. The lot across from it closed down.

Earl

Edited by mopar_earl
  • Like 1