My Rebuilt 230 with 218 stuff

48ply1stcar

If it runs as good as it looks,you are in business.

Wayfarer

The block is a 56 230, everything else is 53 - 218 6 volt positive ground, including the oil pick-up plumbing so that I could use the 53 oil pan. The 56 was supposed to be a temporary fix until I had my 53 motor rebuilt, but it took so much work that I had the 230 rebuilt instead.

We know a brewer at DeSchutes Brewery, now maybe I have two reasons to visit Bend.

Edited by 48ply1stcar

Spent most of today getting the motor started.  Now I have to find the dwell / Tachometer to do some fine tuning.

post-1228-0-29848700-1467083811_thumb.png

Link to video.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129119984@N05/27873908681/in/dateposted/

Edited by 48ply1stcar
  • Like 1

Engine starts well now just like the other one did, but this one has real compression. 

My rebuilder said I should run the engine for about 15 minutes at 1000 rpm.  Sunday I ran it for about 7 or 8 minutes and engine just slowed down and stopped.  I was really nervous about the way it died, but it started right up yesterday.  I'll by installing a new thermostat this week and let her rip again this weekend.

Did you check the fuel pressure and gas level?

It's really easy to overlook some of the really basic stuff when you are all excited about a new engine start.

Don't ask me how I know this.

I did have coolant and a full radiator, albeit  less than a 50/50, I even poured coolant directly into the block.

Monday my day-off so I'll install the new thermostat and install the transmission and everything will be prefect.

And I'll live happily ever-after.