Brakes

Kaos

I have started back on the 47 P15 Plymouth hot and heavy now that I have some extra time.  I have put my disc brake conversion kit on for the front from scarebird.  I have ordered replacement brake lines so I am about to install those as I noticed just how brittle the old lines where when doing the conversion.   My question is should I replace the master cylinder or use the one I have currently? I have not visually inspected my current master cylinder but I know there is 0 fluid in the lines.   I have read some mixed thoughts on this so I thought I would ask the experts here.  I did a quick forum seach on this and didnt find it however I may have searched it incorrectly. 

My drum brakes in the back are completely locked up from the years of it sitting, are the back and front drums the same?  Any suggestions on how to remove the drum cover without having to beat the crap out of them with a hammer as most suggest?  I do have them soaking in PB blaster.  I was very careful when I removed the front (once I got the drum off after beating the crap out of them with a hammer) and kept all the parts thinking they would be the same so I can use parts from front on the back. 

Also I am about to drop the tank and clean it out and seal it up again.  If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them as I do not want to break anything or miss some hidden trick.  I'm all about not reinventing the wheel so I would love to hear any suggestions.  I do have a master service manual and I have read it a few times on the gas tank but thought I would ask here, at least for me it seems to be somewhat diffrent reading it vs actually doing it on a car that is 71 years old.

Finally the only missing part from the car is the air filter.  I know I don't want to run it without one for long periods of time but will it be ok to run it without the filter for a little while to move it around the yard?  I have run the car for about 20 minutes with an IV line.  I don't want to mess anything up as I just rebuild the carburetor and I am currently bidding on an air filter now on ebay but I know I will not have it before the weekend when I bring the old girl back to life and can stop her.

Below you will find a photo of the disc brakes I added, but notice I had to cut the brake line that went to the drum as I am unable to remove the old line.  It is just locked together from the years and if I put any pressure I know it will break those things are so brittle and old.  Any suggestions on how to remove it?  I am not sure how it will look at the master cylinder side but with new lines coming I can cut up the old but I would love to be able to take them apart and not break the line near the master cylinder.  Anything else to use other than pb blaster and wd 40?

Thanks guys,

David

post-8216-0-51407500-1466459108_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kaos

For the rear drums you will need a drum puller like the 3 arm puller to get the rear drum off the tapered axle.  You can run the car without the air filter on the car just to move it around the yard but I would not go on a long trip without one.  You could also get a modern air cleaner and adapt if needed.

front and rear drums are not interchangeble.

rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Why are you worried about cutting the brake lines when you know you will be replacing them anyhow?

As for the master cylinder,if it were me,I would replace it with a brand new double outlet non-power master cylinder. I know there are kits made to bolt one into place where your original master cylinder was.  Chances are it won't even cost very much more than a new single outlet MC.

As for the gas tank,unless you can find a sealer to use on the inside that is guaranteed to be immune to ethanol,it's cheaper and better to just buy a new Tank,inc gas tank and be done with it. I have had zero luck in the past with tank sealer and ethanol on two cars and one harley,and changing gas tanks,blowing out lines,and rebuilding carbs is a major pain in the butt. Do it once and be done with it.

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 1

When you redo the brake lines have a look at changing the spot where the front brake hoses attach to the chassis as the stock setup is in front of the suspension which means that using it you will then have the brake hose passing around the moving suspension and steering parts........as the brake caliper is at the rear of the disc then the having the brake hose attaching to the chassis "behind" the axle centreline is a better arrangement....it may mean using a longer hose than the one you have at present but will be a safer installation....also I'd replace ALL the brake lines which originally would have been 1/4" with the smaller 3/16TH diameter used in modern braking systems........also a dual cicuit master cylinder is a wise choice......I have had 4 wheel discs on my 1940 Dodge since the mid 1970's and the old drum brakes don't compare.............regards, andyd

post-612-0-29189000-1466472828_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Not worried about now knowing that I should replace the MC.  Have a link or a site to suggest where I can get a double outlet MC that will fit the car?

No,but I am thinking the best place for YOU to look would be the same supplier that sold you the disc brake conversion. They are bound to offer a dual-outlet MC that meets your needs.

I know you should be able to "mix and match" this stuff from one supplier to the next,but found out a long time ago that this stuff always seems to work out better if you get all the components you need for any part of your system from the same supplier.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hello I am looking to redo the brakes in my 1949 Plymouth special deluxe. Looking to order parts, where do you suggest on buying shoes for the brakes front on rear. 

Do you suggest ordering new wheel cyclinders for all 4 tires or getting a kit to fix them?

order a new master cylinder or get a kit and hope for the best?

"When you redo the brake lines have a look at changing the spot where the front brake hoses attach to the chassis as the stock setup is in front of the suspension which means that using it you will then have the brake hose passing around the moving suspension and steering parts........as the brake caliper is at the rear of the disc then the having the brake hoseattaching to the chassis "behind" the axle centreline is a better arrangement....it may mean using a longer hose than the one you have at present but will be a safer installation"

i struggled with this situation today. To connect the disc caliper hoseTo the line it must route . . . . as you said.   Somehow I'm going to extend the fixed lines for a closer connection.  TKS for the tip. 

On 6/20/2016 at 6:29 PM, Kaos said:

Not worried about now knowing that I should replace the MC.  Have a link or a site to suggest where I can get a double outlet MC that will fit the car?

I can't recommend any because I haven't personally bought and installed a dual-outlet master cylinder on a old Mopar.

YET.

I suspect that they are easy to find from outfits like Scare Bird and other Mopar suppliers,though.

Shop around and see who offers the right combination of kit and price that suits you.

On 12/11/2017 at 9:29 PM, Warnto said:

Hello I am looking to redo the brakes in my 1949 Plymouth special deluxe. Looking to order parts, where do you suggest on buying shoes for the brakes front on rear. 

Do you suggest ordering new wheel cyclinders for all 4 tires or getting a kit to fix them?

order a new master cylinder or get a kit and hope for the best?

If you do a search by parts number on the interweb,you can almost always buy brand new wheel cylinders for about the same price you would pay for a kit. Sometimes cheaper. New is ALWAYS better than rebuilt when it comes to wheel cylinders.

Since it is so hard to find a old MC these days that hasn't already been honed a time or two,MY vote is to spend the bucks and buy a new one. Brake,tires,and suspension aren't areas where you want to cut corners.

Buying a kit and doing it yourself is substantially cheaper than buying a new MC,though.

• Like 1

best bet is to see if a local shop has the means to reline these for you.  If you  have a local truck or fleet style repair shop check with them.   E-bay on the average has numerous sets for sale.   look in the links directory above and also may be of interest to you to read the brake section under the technical tab.  compare..prices truly vary...good luck