49 parking brake

kota98

Hoping someone can help me out, I have a 49 Wayfarer and would like to rebuild the parking brake.  Its a external compressing ring but my problem is how to remove the ring from around the drive shaft hub.  Do I need to remove the tail stock and drive shaft or is the support eyelet the adjustment screw goes through removable on its own?

Will be watching this as I'm 99% sure I need a new liner on the e-brake band for the 49 Windsor. A quick look while under there only saw a bunch of rusty stuff so no advice yet. Better start squirting some penetrate spray!

Get in a position where you can look at the entire assembly.  You will see that by removing the cable and the long actuating and adjustment bolt which passes up through a bracket on the transmission, then removing the adjustment on the passenger side and a limiting pin (bolt( on the drivers side the brake band can be slid back and removed without disconnecting the driveshaft.  Take care to mark the various springs as they are all different.

The only difference in the Plymouth and the Chrysler is the size of the band.   Dennis Cutshall of Honey Creek Iowa can reline the bands for you. He can be found through the Plymouth Owners Club

• Like 1

How can you remove the adjustment bolt? Mine hits the floor of the car if pushed up and can't be brought down through the support ring. I'm hoping I'm missing something here, it's the last part I can't get off

Remove the transmission's bracket (two 1/2 inch head bolts )  Move the entire assembly toward the rear of the car then turn the band so the bolt can be removed

• Like 1

If the Wayfarer has the transmission without a tailshaft extension  then the bracket is part of the transmission end plate.

No bolts and the root of your dilemma.  I apologize for my earlier bad advice. 

A possible  solution now is to remove the bolts holding the transmission to the bell housing and rotate the transmission enough to get the adjustment bolt out. Not a charming prospect but simple enough except for the upper left bolt which can be reached with a long extension.

Alternately, removal of the driveshaft and the brake drum will likely give enough room to extract the bolt. No puller is required.

I checked in the shop manual and it gives no comforting words of advice, it states simply that removal of the adjusting bolt is the first step in removal of the brake band.

• 6 years later...

I know this is an old post so I may be grasping at straws.  Just wondering if/how this was resolved.  I have the same issue.  Is there something easier than unbolting the bell housing bolts?

Edited by awsom51
Spelling