P23 Front Shock Absorbers

rallyace

OK, another question that has most likely been answered a zillion times. Where are folks finding front shock absorbers for a P23 (1951 Plymouth Cambridge)? I can find new Gabriels for the rear for about $15 each but front shocks seem to be as rare as hen's teeth.  There are a couple of sets of fronts and rears on ebay but $180 seems a bit steep.

Mike

Monroe 5752 front for 1950 special deluxe on rock auto for $16.48 each. I would think a P23 would use the same but I don't know for sure

This is a link from a part number I have. http://m.autozone.com/suspension-steering-tire-and-wheel/shock-strut-front?searchtext=5752&oem=%205752

Shows about twenty bucks each.

I have a p23 just haven't got to the shocks yet. Let me know how these work for you if you go ahead with them.

Apparently the monroe number that is on my rock auto receipt, shipping slip is wrong. Or they sent me the wrong parts and I exchanged them later. It was two years ago. And no the fronts are way to short to be of any use on the rear. I have a Gabriel number of 81256 for the rears.

I think the Monroe 5752 shocks are the rears as they are almost two feet OAL.

post-302-0-79244800-1466135827_thumb.jpg

That's odd. Here's the specs I get.

FAQ MONROE 5752

Compressed Bumper Stop No
Compressed Length 8.625"
Dust Shield Yes
Dust Shield Material Metal
Extended Bumper Stop No
Extended Hydraulic Lockout No
Extended Length 12.750"
Lower Mounting Code Loop Bushing Mount - 5/8 Bushing ID X 1.5/16" Bushing OAL
Parts Pack(s) None
Travel Length 4.125"
Upper Mounting Code Loop Bushing Mount - 5/8 Bushing ID X 1.5/16" Bushing OAL

Short 5752 for the front, longer 31000 for the rear. Rock is showing the best prices, and also best shipping (better than buying local). There is also the Monroe 58567 rear with overload springs going for $61/pr. Won't be hauling/towing, and those just might push the rear end up 1-2" higher. Anybody used them?

I just posted the snip of amazon info.

Now I don't know who's right! :confused:  Fronts are the super shorties.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya