Master heater

Both are compatible (basically the same heater).  The picture is a few years old.  The brown one is in FEF and Jeff bought the other one, but I restored them both at the same time.  When I go picking I'm alwasy on the look out for more.

• 3 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 8:04 AM, ggdad1951 said:

...... but I restored them both at the same time.  

do you remember if there is a trick to removing the fan blade and "squirrel" cage from the motor shaft?

I removed the set screw, soaked the end and the shaft exposed at the set screw with PB blaster, used heat..... supported the squirrel cage from the motor with a 3" ABS coupler, tapped the end of the shaft with a ball ping and punch and drove the shaft through the bottom of the motor :mad: ( and didn't budge the shaft from the fan blades)

"momma told me there would be days like this...... "

3 hours ago, Brent B3B said:

do you remember if there is a trick to removing the fan blade and "squirrel" cage from the motor shaft?

I removed the set screw, soaked the end and the shaft exposed at the set screw with PB blaster, used heat..... supported the squirrel cage from the motor with a 3" ABS coupler, tapped the end of the shaft with a ball ping and punch and drove the shaft through the bottom of the motor :mad: ( and didn't budge the shaft from the fan blades)

"momma told me there would be days like this...... "

nope, no trick that I can remember....you did it right as far as I know...maybe I held the fans up with something and let the weight of the motor help as I drove the shaft out of the squirrel cage.

• 2 weeks later...

Over the past two years I've been keeping my eyes open and I have finally managed to accumulate a Model 65, defroster vents, fresh air intake, control panel, cables, and knobs. Everything needs to be restored. Anyone familiar with what the stock colors are for these parts? Also, is there a good source for replacement control cables? Anything tricky about restoring the heater?

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B
Spelling error

ggdad1951 was doing something  with cables a couple years ago, maybe still is and has done some nice looking restos on a couple of heaters, maybe still has the colors written down

On 6/15/2016 at 11:04 AM, ggdad1951 said:

Both are compatible (basically the same heater).  The picture is a few years old.  The brown one is in FEF and Jeff bought the other one, but I restored them both at the same time.  When I go picking I'm alwasy on the look out for more.

ggdad,,

do you know where I can get a cover plate for one of these heaters?  You wouldn't have one laying around somewhere that you would part with do you? I'm also looking for the Y duct connector that connects to the defoggers.

Edited by Fiddy B2C

no repop cover plates out there, you'd have to find a donor heater someplace.  If you are looking for specific parts, place a "parts wanted" post in that section of the forum.  That is the best way (and recommended way) to look for parts.

I just rebuilt a model 61 that was in my 49 woody.  But the vent arrangement is different?  The defrost is on the top left on mine.   (it is upside down in the picture)   I don't see any way to rearrange the vents, but it all works good.

by the way, if anyone is interested, I have a 2 speed motor that works, and will fit right in these.  I will try to put it in the classifieds, but have never tried that before.  (it is craigslist - atlanta) 

Mike 

2016-10-18 13.43.32.jpg

100_1704.JPG

• Like 1

Reg,

Thanks for the picture in your photo bucket. I'll try to match mine to that same color. The medallion in the center looks like argent although I think I've seen some that are more of a gold color (I could be wrong). If anyone has actual paint formulas, please share. But close is good enough for me.

I've restored two of these the models change the configurations of several things on them.  See post #2 ^^ for colors that were matched as close as we could off some heaters, the brown version and the purple/argent.

16 hours ago, Los_Control said:

Redoing my model 61 now.

The original granite gray just wont work for me, is to plain.

Going with 2 tone black and ?????  ARRGGGG! decisions decisions 

black and silver would be cool, or maybe gold.  Some sort of metallic on the badge medalion stamping.

You know it is funny but when I bought one of these from Mark I didn't really care what the color was. But that deep Burgundy color kind of grew on me. I ended up using it for accents like the wheels and some cab components. May or may not be stock but it ends up looking period appropriate. I get compliments all the time.

Jeff

• Like 1

That color was as close as I could get to the originals color of that specific heater....it was it's original color...I have no idea why they vary so much.

• 7 months later...