1948 Plymouth Clutch/Over Center Spring Adjustment

lbiehle

I'm trying to find out how to adjust the clutch in conjunction with the over center spring.  I have a 1948 Plymouth P15 Special Deluxe.  It has a flat head 6 with 3 on the tree.  I'm having trouble getting the adjustment correct.  I have adjusted every option numerous times.  I have adjusted the turnbuckle in order to adjust the over center spring.  The pedal either slams when returning upright or pedal stays close to floor. 

I have removed the over center spring entirely.  The clutch will work properly, but the pedal is very difficult to for my wife to push down.  (I built the car for her)

Also, is there a picture available to see how the bell crank attaches to the motor?  I believe it is installed correctly, but with all the trouble I'm having I thought this might be a factor.

I would appreciate all suggestions.

Robert Biehle  

I believe there was a special tool to adjust the center spring.  But I'm sure the guys will have another solution.

Template to make the tool in the Downloads section. 

• Like 1

When I adjusted my over center spring I removed the free play rod from the clutch fork to take it out of the equation. I did not have the special tool but I was able to find the sweet spot where the pedal pulls up and pulls down by adjusting the turn buckle a bit at a time. Pictured is how a P-15 bell crank attaches to the bell housing.

cl19.jpg

Clutch_linkage.jpg

overcenter_spring.jpg

• Like 1

There is a template on the home site that can be copped once you have set the scale.  A lot of copiers will  allow you to scale up or down in small increments to get a full size print  You can glue the print to heavy cardboard and cut it out add the two bends and use it for the adjustment.  I did this 15 years ago and still keep the template in the top of my tool box, you never know when you might need it again.

• Like 2

Thanks to everyone.  I have made a tool from cardboard as you suggested James.  Thank you for the picture of the bell crank Don.  I'm going to try your suggestion of removing the free play rod until the clutch pedal is adjusted correctly.  I'll give it a try this weekend.

Robert

• 3 years later...
11 hours ago, brooklynbeer said:

How do I know what scale to make this tool from the pdf ?

There is a scale on the drawing, adjust the size of your print to match the scale on the drawing when you lay a ruler on top of it.

• 4 years later...

Hello, I just replaced my master cylinder on a 1948 Plymouth P15. Once the new master was in I hooked up the over center spring and have found that my clutch pedal now will not come all the way to the top without pulling it up by hand as if something is binding (I may have just answered my own question). Prior to replacing my master cylinder everything worked fine. I have not adjusted anything to this point and dont see that I would have to since nothing was disturbed as far as the clutch is concerned. The clutch does engage the transmission and turns the wheels as intended as I have the car up on stands, (this was done ever so carefully) I have lubed all fittings on the clutch linkage so far. Any help would be appreciated

My 51 had an issue with being sticky about returning to top.  I ended up greasing all the fittings, keep looking there are a lot of the, some down by the overcenter spring.  Fresh grease, working the linkage a few times sorted it out.

On 6/16/2016 at 8:17 PM, lbiehle said:

Thanks to everyone.  I have made a tool from cardboard as you suggested James.  Thank you for the picture of the bell crank Don.  I'm going to try your suggestion of removing the free play rod until the clutch pedal is adjusted correctly.  I'll give it a try this weekend.

Robert

hey there I am having the same problem with my clutch pedal. Prior to replacing my master cylinder my clutch pedal operated fine. Now the pedal is stiff to push down and does not come all the way up on its own. I have not touched anything to do with adjustment while pulling/installing the master cylinder but now that I have everything back together I have this. I was wondering what you or anyone else had come up with to solve the issue. Thanks 

10 hours ago, Sniper said:

My 51 had an issue with being sticky about returning to top.  I ended up greasing all the fittings, keep looking there are a lot of the, some down by the overcenter spring.  Fresh grease, working the linkage a few times sorted it out.

I will head out tomorrow and do exactly that! Thanks Sniper

Same thing happened to the 47 P15.  One day it worked fine then the next day the clutch wouldn't return to the top.  Turned out to be linkage wear.  Was able to repair everything with the welder.  This linkage and pin were close to failure.  Everything works fine now.  Over spring adjustment not required.  I did have to adjust the linkage after the repairs were complete.  

Clutch Linkage.jpg

Clutch  Linkage.jpg

Linkage Repair.jpg

• Like 2