Hand Job

Don Coatney

The phrase "Will buff right out"  has been used many times on this forum. I probably should have dragged out the pictured air powered buffer but today I went for the hand job. You can see my stopping point on the fender. Ninety plus degrees outside today and my butt is dragging. But the car looks good. 

buffer.jpg

001_3.jpg

002_3.jpg

• Like 1

Great job.   Funny how they always seem to run better when they are shiny.  dp

• Like 1

I recall the spring and fall ritual my father employed to keep his cars in fettle. A weekend would be designated, supplies gathered, and on the agreed upon date the process commenced with the Friday after supper vacuuming and exterior wash and dry of the car. This was followed on Saturday with the rubbing or polishing compounding of the exterior paint and polishing of the chrome. The application was done with what seemed to be a 30 pound combination of wheel and half inch drill. The removal of compounds done by hand with cheesecloth. Sunday the Simonize paste wax on by hand, and came off by hand, with application and removal being limited to 2 foot square sections till the car was done. Then the glass got done using a condition of vinegar and water scrubbed vigorously with news paper. If there was time and the weather was good a long ride in the country followed with a stop for a burger and ice cream.