49 Fluid Drive advice needed

rb1949

Temporarily disconnecting wiring to the trans will cause an immediate up-shift into high quickly answering the internal transmission shifting parts are in good working order.

Meaning that the oil pump/direct speed shift sleeve/shift rail/input shaft teeth/ blocker ring etc are all working.

NOW.... You need to get a new trans wiring harness installed ... and correctly so the trans can shift automatically like it's supposed to.

Don't fret about it.... do repairs one step at a time!

It will all come together and work.

Guidance is appreciated trying to understand what these components are and how they work. So many delays and detours. In current state, I'd like to take it down to the local weekly cruise-in, weather permitting. Ready to associate with oldie owner groups and seek friendly knowledge. So far no other vintage '40's Mopars to be seen. I want that ride with an M6!! Then get this thing propped back up in the air and at least get the harness routed in place. And improve the messy underhood hookups. For anyone else with a need, there's a great wiring diagram for the M6 right here in the downloads.

Made it to the cruise-in, about 40+ cars, good for a parking lot hang out. Still the only old Mopar present. There are 2 bigger 'shows' at the beach coming up, plus the annual cruise to the beach with about 300 cars.

Hmmm, remove 4 screws in Governor cover, pull off and clean points. Sorry, it doesn't come off. Stuck good. Hammer didn't help. No lip to "pry" it up. Is there a gasket under there, and what kind? The center screw is only the electrical connection, not holding it on(?) Last thing I need to do. New harness installed and connected. Will still follow the few simple procedures in the manual for electrical test of components. Ready for a progress report. On the trans driver side is a small square gizmo with 2 wires. Assuming back-up light switch?

Cover will pop right off with a very small screw driver. Cover gasket is either cork or paper.

Don't use a hammer. Bad,

The governor is the brains the solenoid is the nerve, oil pressure is the muscle. The brain senses when conditions are met for the trans to shift, the solenoid receives the massage, and triggers the muscle to move the internal valve that does the work of selecting the higher gear. The interrupter is a nerve that blocks spark for a moment to introduce slack in the drive line that allows the shift components to move. The kickdown switch is like a shot of adrenaline that tells the governor to hurry the downshift signal. For those in the know, does the kickdown also talk to the inturupter for the downshift?

Edited by greg g
  • Like 2

Channel Locks got the cover wiggling enough to come off, with half the gasket (cork). Replaced with a fiber gasket. Manual says it's a copper gasket. Points not burnt, now cleaned. Inside not oily. Plunger moves up and down freely. Reassemble. Using procedure in manual with a test lamp, Governor fails the very first test. (lamp on - lamp off) The light DIMS, but it does not go OFF. Eliminate a short due to faulty old wiring. Phooey, road test. I THINK it is shifting from 3-4, occasionally about 20mph. And when depressing the clutch. Takeoff is better so I think it's starting out in 3rd (lever down). Don't hear any clunks or noises.Lever UP has no shifting. Guessing 1st gear with the motor racing, but no change in gears. So not sure I have accomplished anything after all this work. More testing requires rear wheels up to perform in gear. Kickdown switch test seemed OK. Governor looks like a big 'nut' at the bottom to turn loose. How does the solenoid come off? (a test requires it off to be tilted to check operation) What else can I say. Starting to wish I had a simple 3 speed manual.

You need to buy a play piece / educational M-6 trans and study it till you fully understand it's operation.

Then work on the one in your car. with confidence that you can get it working.

Video is a good visual and duplicate of printed procedures in the manual. Can only continue to fiddle and test the 6 electric components.  Are they doing what they are supposed to be doing. Maybe the Governor failing the very first test is caused by something else. May have to remove, and the solenoid. Faulty parts might put one in SOL mode. Having one large contraption is more than enough, no need for another. There would be NO confidence to pull or open trans. Unless to scrap it and replace, finding one that works. Not done yet. Will remain confused with more updates.

Video is a good visual and duplicate of printed procedures in the manual. Can only continue to fiddle and test the 6 electric components. Are they doing what they are supposed to be doing. Maybe the Governor failing the very first test is caused by something else. May have to remove, and the solenoid. Faulty parts might put one in SOL mode. Having one large contraption is more than enough, no need for another. There would be NO confidence to pull or open trans. Unless to scrap it and replace, finding one that works. Not done yet. Will remain confused with more updates.

If I lived closer, I'd offer to help you troubleshoot it.

Earl

Thanks for the offer. But stay tuned as I'll probably question some of the test findings. 3 - 4 shifting seems reasonable. But the same parts aren't shifting 1 - 2? Don't like that.

Your car is voodooed :eek:

Definately agree. The VooDoo pins are rusty and shorted. One of those parts is installed upside down? Used daybreak to weed the garden and edge lawn. Car ideas are on hold due to rain. Saw a picture of the gripper jaw wrench to remove solenoid. May have to try a strap wrench. My solenoid is tilted 90° more than the pictures show. Don't see any mark to identify which wire goes where. What happens if those 2 wires are reversed?

If the wires are reversed your luck with the car might improve...

The secret to luck. Better start reversing more connections. Better drop the pan to turn the flywheel. Could not get that dang convertor plug to line up in the hole by bumping the starter.

I can't turn my engine over by turning the fan.  I don't know why.  The engine runs fine, but doesn't turn over by fan belt. It's the DeSoto 25-inch, 236 c.i., rebuilt some 15 years ago.  

So it's bump the starter and/or pry the flywheel teeth.  

Be sure to turn the "torque converter" clockwise for good karma.