Brake Questions for '55 Plymouth

throwinwrenches

Hello all, I'm new here and relatively new to vintage Mopars but I love to learn. I've learned a lot working on our '55 Plymouth Savoy. It has a 230 and 3 speed manual and remains original. It seems in many ways this car is a lot closer to the earlier Plymouths and Dodges than the 57-up Forward Look cars. So that's why I'm here to learn a little more about these cars and continue working on small improvements while we enjoy the Savoy. Its such a transition car, new 50's lines but an old flathead and 6V system. Very fun to work on so far...

During a replacement of the master cylinder on the Plymouth, I noticed there were some leaky wheel cylinders on the front of the car. I pulled the drum and noticed a big mess, and cleaned things and replaced the cylinders. I plan to do the rest of the wheel cylinders and shoes since they're probably all shot. Sadly, the brake shoe retainer on the front was missing and appeared to have rusted off years ago. 

My questions are  

1. Does anyone reproduce the shoe retainers clips, or do I need to find another used backing plate? These are the two that are held on with rivets to the backing plate. 

2. I have to turn the drums, and they may be beyond their limit. Is there anyone out there with new front or rear drums? (I'm still waiting to hear from Kanter and Bernbaum). 

Thanks for any advice and I love the forums. Learned a lot already about valve adjustment and other mechanical tips I'll definately apply. 

The horse shoe clips are available even through NAPA.... if you can find a parts guy who can still use the books.

The backing plates should be fine? They don't wear out unless damaged.

Drums... Get them miked.. .060" OS after turning is the Max diameter.

The clips in question are the ones here. You can see the front one is missing. I think I could reuse the backing plate (its still straight) if I drill the rivets out and find a new clip. I'll check to see if there's a Mopar part # in the book. 

26974217594_52c7a1ff39_o.jpg

Edited by throwinwrenches

Another way around this problem is to drill both the backing plate and the shoe and use the pin and spring retainer which looks like a nail with a twist on washer and spring. Very commonplace through that era . Prewar Plymouths used them too and the length of these would be right.  Also, I have done business with Wildcat and  Ed  is very helpful.