Has anyone flushed their 3 speed OD and switched to Synthetic

Howard Tarnoff

I have had my solenoid out and of course a good deal of oil has self drained from the transmission.   Thinking if I were to change to a synthetic this would be the time to do so.   Has anyone done so and what were the results? 

Any while I am asking (and yes I have searched) what is the total capacity of the transmission and overdrive.

Thanks

According to my original Mopar overdrive handbook (Borg Warner R-10 from 52 and up) the capacity was 2 3/4 pints in the transmission and another 3/4 pint in the OD unit. I've always used Lucas standard gear lube with good results.  In my experience,  switching to full synthetics can be problematic unless the entire gearbox and OD have been rebuilt with modern seals.  I've seen other folks change to full synthetic on old original gearboxes, and they started to leak almost immediately.  Maybe has to do with the viscosity.  

Edited by st63

These guys know their BW OD's.   Scroll down to the section covering gear lube, and you'll see the advice about sticking to NON synthetic, and also addressing the issues Greg G brought up about brass and bronze gears.  

http://www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com/overdrive_parts.php

I bought the same gl-1 oil from my Napa store. Had to find it myself in their book as they had never sold any as far as the counter help knew, but ordered for next day free delivery from the warehouse to the store.

About $13 a couple of years ago.

Maybe worth checking out?

DJ

• Like 1

I bought the same gl-1 oil from my Napa store. Had to find it myself in their book as they had never sold any as far as the counter help knew, but ordered for next day free delivery from the warehouse to the store.

About $13 a couple of years ago.

Maybe worth checking out?

DJ

I bought a gallon from NAPA recently for $38 plus tax . It looked like it had been on the shelf for a long time . I also had a little bit in a quart jug and it was honey colored , it sat for a long time and a lot of black sludge settled in the bottom . 

Yup, I should have added that I usually buy mine from Napa...it's around 40 bucks now with tax, but you won't have shipping costs. The manufacturer is listed as Warren Unilube. 

Edited by st63

$40 at NAPA? That's crazy. I bought several gallons recently for around $14 a gallon. It's NAPA brand. I'll get the UPC later today and post it. They most likely will have to order it, but they do stock it in their warehouses. Mine had some on the shelf as someone wanted a gallon and they have to order it by the case of 4 gallons.