42 Dodge heater control valve

knuckleharley

Can anybody post a photo of a heater control valve installed in a 42 Dodge? The one in my car was missing when I got it.

There seems to be several styles. From the pipe leading to a vlave goint to the y or t pipe for dual heaters, or simple tap with a manually set valve, to a couple with cable controls. So which style are you looking for.

This is a picture of one of the factory ones. My car does have dual heaters but this is the style valve that was on it when I got it.

PA080007.jpg

There seems to be several styles. From the pipe leading to a vlave goint to the y or t pipe for dual heaters, or simple tap with a manually set valve, to a couple with cable controls. So which style are you looking for.

Beats me. As I stated in the opening post,somebody had stolen the one from my car before I got it. All I have is a hose hanging from the firewall in the rear,and a hole in the top of the thermostat housing where something was screwed in there.

[quote=dodgepu1946;>>This is a picture of one of the factory ones. My car does have dual heaters but this is the style valve that was on it when I got it.<<

Thanks. Can you tell me or show me what was screwed into the top of the thermostat housing?

Here's another style of heater valve. This one is on my 42 Dodge D22 engine. The valve is mounted on top of the water pump. I've never seen one on the thermostat housing.

MVC-003F.jpg

The WP piece is just a basic pipe I think. Unless you don't have the little piece the pipe goes into. That attaches with 2 bolts. Someone may have an extra one laying around.

P8200001.jpg

Reg Evans wrote: >>Here's another style of heater valve. This one is on my 42 Dodge D22 engine. The valve is mounted on top of the water pump. I've never seen one on the thermostat housing.>>

Thanks,that was my mistake. I have the hole in the top of my water pump that is connected to the thermostat housing,like yours is. I also have the hole in the rear of the head where a heater hose goes,but nothing in that hole,either.

Which location is most common for the heater control valve?

FYI.. Heater control valve is always on the right rear corner on the top of the head.

LOL! Thank you. You just answered my question.

>>dodgepu1946 wrote: >>The WP piece is just a basic pipe I think. Unless you don't have the little piece the pipe goes into. That attaches with 2 bolts. Someone may have an extra one laying around.

Thanks. I have the piece bolted to the water pump,but don't have the elbow. I didn't even know what was missing until your photo,never mind what it looked like.

I'll bet more than one owner tossed the little elbow on top of the water pump, thinking it was part of the pump.

Here's a pic of the heater valve in my '48 Dodge truck. Operated with a cable like the one in the other photo. One side is closed with a pipe plug. Probably these are the type used on the cars with two heaters.

post-131-13585345868702_thumb.jpg

Here's a pic of the heater valve in my '48 Dodge truck. Operated with a cable like the one in the other photo. One side is closed with a pipe plug. Probably these are the type used on the cars with two heaters.

Thanks,I am saving all these photos to my hard drive so i can recogonize this stuff when I see it.

Thanks,how many different valves did they use? Anybody know?

Anybody have a extra usable heater control valve they want to sell?

I just bought one of those cable operated ones recently on ebay. I think it came from Mitchel Motors. They had several of them. Don't know if they still do. You may want to do a little searching in the bay, or give them a call. Sorry I don't have a phone # for them.

Merle

I just bought one of those cable operated ones recently on ebay. I think it came from Mitchel Motors. They had several of them. Don't know if they still do. You may want to do a little searching in the bay, or give them a call. Sorry I don't have a phone # for them.

Merle

Thanks for the tip. I just sent them a email parts request.

My '40 Dodge doesn't have a heater shut-off valve on the engine. There is a threaded pipe with a 90 degree bend screwed into the valve location. However, the heater itself has a chrome plated shut-off valve. The handle on this valve gets very hot when the valve is in the open position.

Phil

Phil so do the engine mounted manual ones. Napa has brand new manual ones for like $15. I had one on my coupe until I found a nos cable one. Now the manual one will go on my truck.

Thanks,but that is for a 49 or newer,not a 42. Besides,at $56 it seems kind of high to me.

Tony_Urwin wrote: >>I'm pretty sure that it would fit your head.<<

Me too,but if I am going to spend those big bucks,I'm going to buy the correct 1942 heater control valve.

>>You could always visit your local plumbing shop and make your own.<<

I will probably do this for a short-term solution if I don't find one for a 1942 between now and winter. I'm already using hardware store plugs to seal the holes as a temporary solution so I can try to get it running and driving.