Stroke / bore standard 230

Ferrell592

Just curious, have you stroked out your 230 L6?? What's the largest bore size you have gone on a standard (plain Jane) motor? What change in HP did you see And was the cost worth the increased HP?

My 49 has been sitting for 30 yrs with a 51 dodge 230 motor. It's frozen so I'm tearing it down for rebuild... So deciding whether or not to bore it oversized while its out and disassembled or just leave it standard bore & stoke

The cheapest way to get more inches and a noticeable power increase is to swap in a 25" engine.....

Short of that, all IC engines benefit from higher compression. Custom forged pistons will set you back about $650.

I believe this motor is already .030 over. I'm just getting some ideas and options since I'm already going to have the engine apart. Might as well see why other people have done, before I start the rebuild. Looking online at Pistons, I saw 40 & 60 over for this motor, not sure that the cost of machining is worth what??? 15-20 HP?

So leaving it at .030, what's available out there in way of cranks? I'm not finding much other than stock, unless I'm looking in the wrong places.

Doubtful if there has ever been a "stroker" crank to suit the side valve mopar 6's in either 23 or 25" size......stroker cranks are generally the preserve of drag racing and these engines whilst may have seen the occasional run down the 1/4 mile they were not to my knowledge ever used in the top classes so the crank stroking just never would have occurred.....now if you have a very large wallet then I suppose you could get a new crank made up but as they are a long stoke engine anyway I'd be surprised if the cost involved would return much on the investment.........a better way to spend the money would be as Plymouthy has suggested.......also Earl Edgerton in Ca. has developed an "F" head conversion that would help.......I got one of Earls finned heads a few yrs ago for the 230 I was building for the 41 Coupe I had, ended up selling engine & car before installing the engine but this pic shows what it looked like......it was to be 40 thou over, stock stroke, 9:1 compression, 1/2 race cam, twin carbs, split exhaust, HEI dissy, finned sideplates, Oz Holden water pump plus a few other things.......I as hoping to get around 160-180hp...the best the they produced was in 1957-59 @ 140hp using a twin barrel carby and 8:1 compression so I was hopeful of the 160-180 figure....but a moot point now..........lol......regards, andyd

post-612-0-87720700-1465164827_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-65566600-1465164859_thumb.jpg