Carter bb carb flooding

1952 dodge 2 ton with canadian 251 all original

Carb is flooding like crazy ...gas leaking out the bottom throttle shaft and around the top of lid seam area. It is dumping gas down the intake.

I pulled it all apart and hot tanked it reusing the old parts

I will order a kit for it tomorrow but I wondered what was happening to make it flood so badly. I will be changing the oil too

It worked last year when I parked it.

I just wanted to know the mechanical process behind it flooding.

Thanks very much

I've had the carb apart twice now and I don't think any parts are missing

I don't see how the float completely shuts off the fuel?

It doesn't seem to be attached to anything that stops fuel intake, its just hinged to the body of the carb

The float doesn't leak and has a metal tab that look like it would close off the fuel as the float rises but the metal tab doesn't block the inlet completely

is there a stopper of sorts on the tab on the float or just a rounded metal tab?

Does anyone have an exploded diagram or a good picture series?

I think I've lost the needle ...it rests against the metal tab on the float I presume?

I didn't realize it fell out when I took the Glass bowl fuel filter off originally to clean it..it is placed just before the carb threading into the carb body

That explains the flooding I think

Edited by morgoon52

your entries was a bit out of order....

worked last year

you pulled it apart...

now serious flooding even after repeat tear down....

that usually hints toward a self inflicted wound...

let me add...wait for the rebuild kit..usually there are instructions to aide you in the step by step process

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

If you tried running it without the needle, you may want to pull the plugs and blow the excess gas out of the cylinders and also check how much gas is in your oil...if a cylinder is full now it could hydro lock