Rear Axle Swop - U bolt stripped

rumble48

In the midst of swopping in a different axle into my 48 Plymouth and noticed one of the U bolts is stripped, I have checked several mopar sites and no luck finding a replacement. can anyone point me in the right direction?  A used one in good condition, preferred.  

thanks...  craig

You might want to place an ad in the classified section of this web site.

I'll leave this thread open so that people can respond with potential vendors. Any direct offers to sell should be by PM (personal message) and not in this thread.

Most any town will have a place that can make one on the spot. If there is no spring shop around, find a truck repair shop. They can or will know where to get one made. My local Inland Truck makes them. Seems like it was under $10.

Gene Gruender

• Like 2

You might want to place an ad in the classified section of this web site.

I'll leave this thread open so that people can respond with potential vendors. Any direct offers to sell should be by PM (personal message) and not in this thread.

wondered if this post was stretching the bounds of propriety..... thanks for allowing some responses..... 

I realize U bolts are a dime a dozen, but I was hoping to find some (flat on the closed end) stock ones.  I thought I had seen reference to a vendor selling nos new & used parts out of Texas, but no luck finding this am. 

Also while I have heard other folks recommend replacement every time, inspecting them for defects, cleaning the threads, and replacing those that are clearly at end of life, has worked for me. 

If I can't find them, I will order some aftermarket and replace them all in order to have them all the same style.

craig

u bolts are usually sold by the diameter of the axle tube and the length depending on number of leaves and thickness of the lower retainer plate....almost any big box store should have some on hand....you do not necessary need the flat U section...

go here to get an idea....do not rule out the big box store or you local trailer supply house

http://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=axle%20u%20bolts&N=4294919775

Nothing wrong with good used MoPar pit free U-bolts.
The steel in them is much better than the Chinessey modern replacement U-bolts.

• Like 1