Finally got my '53 back together - thanks to all.

I am the second owner of my truck, got it back in 1975.  I drove it through college, dating and married life, the start of our family, and on the ranch till it really needed an overhaul.  Unfortunately, the machine shop really screwed up the engine, then left town and screwed me, so the truck got parked in '98 with the goal of "getting to it someday."  Kids finally got through school and college, so that day arrived in about 2000.  I pulled it all apart, gave the engine to a competent builder, and started doing a whole lot of work myself.  Found a young paint and body man that was willing to do the body work cheap, but on his schedule, so the project drug out a year or so longer than expected.  However, that allowed me to get lots of good info here, and to read about everyone else's projects.

As of today, the truck is back together and I put 12 miles on it...and nothing fell off (that I know of :D)!  Still needs some tuning and more test driving, but it's alive!

BTW, I had forgotten what it was like to drive a no power steering, no power brakes, no AC vehicle in 90 degree, 85% humidity.

post-2050-0-99837400-1464495323_thumb.jpg

post-2050-0-50878500-1464495397_thumb.jpg

post-2050-0-62640400-1464495612_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

BTW, I had forgotten what it was like to drive a no power steering, no power brakes, no AC vehicle in 90 degree, 85% humidity.

Your truck looks awesome! And you will get used to driving it again.

:) I had to drive my Daughters Escape a bit yesterday.......kept reaching for the clutch and there isn't one? And no handle to roll the window down either? the brakes and steering feel too sensitive to me. Modern stuff feels very weird after driving one of these trucks every day.

Jeff

Your truck looks awesome! And you will get used to driving it again.

:) I had to drive my Daughters Escape a bit yesterday.......kept reaching for the clutch and there isn't one? And no handle to roll the window down either? the brakes and steering feel too sensitive to me. Modern stuff feels very weird after driving one of these trucks every day.

Jeff

Yes I experienced that on friday climbing behind the wheel of a 66 Fury. Steering felt so floaty at first compared to the modern cars. 

The paint was matched to the inside of the glove compartment door.  It is Nason with clear coat.  The engine is painted red and starting to peel in places, specially near the thermostat housing.  The attached photo of it in the frame is probably one of the better ones I have

post-2050-0-21499000-1464547385_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like your young paint and body  guy did a really nice job for you.  Really like the looks of the seat pattern and color.  Good job!

Wohoo!!!! Great looking ride!

Hope you find different ways to enjoy and share it with the family. ^_^

48D

As soon as the test driving/fine tuning stage has restored our confidence in long distance trips, my wife and I plan to drive it to most of the old dance halls we drove it to before and after we were married.  Luckenbach, Gruene Hall, Cheatham St. Warehouse, etc.  I also planning on a few photos at some of my old favorite watering holes ;) and some of the TX Hill Country scenic areas.  Basically, it will become a weekend cruiser.

• Like 4

As soon as the test driving/fine tuning stage has restored our confidence in long distance trips, my wife and I plan to drive it to most of the old dance halls we drove it to before and after we were married.  Luckenbach, Gruene Hall, Cheatham St. Warehouse, etc.  I also planning on a few photos at some of my old favorite watering holes ;) and some of the TX Hill Country scenic areas.  Basically, it will become a weekend cruiser.

and who knows..... maybe a road trip to CA around April? or even Oregon.....   :D

• Like 1

As for the heat, it will probably be good for me to get used to it again (I was a lot skinnier back then).  By the time we get to October, it will be plenty cool till the summer of 2017. :)

Edited by Bobacuda
  • Like 1

I hear you. After getting the brakes refurbished I had my first experience of driving my Fargo Suburban 1953 up the driveway (50 yards), up the court (200 yards) and back, several times. Brakes stopped the truck (gradually), but shoes still to be bedded in. Doing a U turn was interesting.....need a football ground. Aircon...just wind down windows when it is hot as fortunately no humidity here, but in winter when it get's to zero celsius or 32 d F, and no heater....that will be a challenge.  Just layers of clothes including thermal underwear.