***The ol' rear engine mount problem***

Needing to replace the rear engine mounts in my '47 Plymouth and have read the previous posts about the issues with not being able to remove/reinstall because of not being able to get the trans jacked up enough. I am just now getting into this project and was considering cutting the sleeved washer that drops in from the top to remove. Then replacing it with a sleeve that installs from the bottom instead. Am I missing something that would cause a problem doing it this way?

post-4026-0-14392200-1464363156_thumb.jpg

In desperation I did just what you suggested when I replaced my rear motor mounts 4 years ago. I also put the bolt in from the bottom and therefore the nut is on the top. I was concerned that if the nut loosened the bolt would fall out. However, after 4 years and over 5000 miles there has been no sign of a problem.

One other thing, the new mounts will lift the transmission higher and you may have to adjust your shift linkage.

Dave

In desperation I did just what you suggested when I replaced my rear motor mounts 4 years ago. I also put the bolt in from the bottom and therefore the nut is on the top. I was concerned that if the nut loosened the bolt would fall out. However, after 4 years and over 5000 miles there has been no sign of a problem.

One other thing, the new mounts will lift the transmission higher and you may have to adjust your shift linkage.

Dave

Not sure why but the bolts on my truck rear mounts go up from the bottom. They are drilled for a cotter pin and use a castle nut. That could be an option too. 

on mounting the new rubber do not over torque these...they are not meant to be cranked down on..basically a float fit..for those that are cutting the piece for reinstall must pay attention to spacer and bolt length when refitting with non stock bolts etc..added washers may be required...this is covered under engine mounts in the book..not found in the transmission section