Switching to a U-joint style driveshaft???

CoronetGuy

Working on my 1952 Dodge Coronet with the M-6 Gyromatic trans. I swapped in a 98 ford ranger 7.5 rear axle. Now its time to get the driveshaft all sorted out. It needs to be a little longer. Went to a driveshaft shop yesterday and we may have figured out a solution but I was wondering if anybody had any part numbers to a flange that will bolt to the back of the M-6 and allow the use of a standard U-joint. 

Driveshaft shop found a flange, its on order from Cali. But last night I measured the mounting area of my trans and the dimensions don't quite match up. So I'm going to go back to the driveshaft shop tomorrow and bring my old driveshaft with so we can measure things out.

Thanks

Canadian built cars from 46 yo 51 used a spicer joint with slip yoke.

The universal cross is the same as used on later  (55) Chevrolets .

You would need the transmission output flange, the u-j assembly and the driveshaft end.

When I had mine made for my 40 Dodge sedan I took them the old driveshaft and a measurement flange to flange. Two days later I had a driveshaft that fit perfectly. A good shop shouldn't need anything else.

Gene

Do you happen to know what that cost you? If you don't mind me asking. First shop I went to had my driveshaft for 2 days and finally called to give me a quote of between 400-450. I went somewhere else where the guys seemed way more helpful, they gave me a quote of $370 out the door & it only took him 20 minutes to put that price together.

I paid out $300 maybe 5 years ago at Austin Drive Line, Austin, Tx. It's now Inland trucks.

But my friend Richard Lorche, in Columbia Mo. does all of them in that area. He quoted me "about $200" for one recently. He's been making them for many years - probably 40 or so. 573-874-1111 shop, 573-489-6060 cell. Will he ship? Don't know ask him what he'll do. One man shop and he knows his stuff.

Edited by austinsailor
  • Like 1