Necessity is the Mother of....adaptation

White Spyder

Over the weekend I took my car to a photo shoot.  On the way there I noticed a strong smell of gas fumes. No, not methane.  When I got home I discovered the the source was the fuel sending unit access in the trunk.  I removed the cover and fashioned a new gasket.  the other issue was that the cork float for the sending unit was not only soaked and not floating any more, maybe this is why the gauge was not working.  The cork crumbled when touched.  I had no luck finding a replacement, so I used what I had on hand.

post-4038-0-06744300-1464211873_thumb.jpg

Put it back in and sealed it up and now the gauge work!!!!

• Like 2

You may find, over time that the wine cork will sink.  The original floats seemed to be coated 

in some sort of sealer which was not penetrated by gasoline.  Good thinking, but now what

can you use the empty bottle for ?

You may find, over time that the wine cork will sink.  The original floats seemed to be coated 

in some sort of sealer which was not penetrated by gasoline.  Good thinking, but now what

can you use the empty bottle for ?

The originals were coated with shellac which is dissolved by alcohol, so having an original float failing and sinking will be quite common nowadays. I've heard of some people using a epoxy that is resistant to both gasoline and alcohol but don't know what type that might be nor how heavy it might be.

Another alternative is to get the cheapest universal sending unit you can and use the float off of it.

So is that the cork out of a White Wine bottle?    Red Wine just wouldn't be appropriate..     BTW I agree, Necessity is a Mother

One was red the other a white. I d ink the red and the wife enjoys white.

Emptying the container before proceeding was also a necessity.

. Yep, and the bottles make great candle holders and when cut good wind chimes.

Spyder,Kudos to you for being resourceful. I probably would never have thought of that. And I've got an abundance of used wine corks.Wayne

I was saving the corks for a table. Now I have to drink at least 2 more bottles to replace the ones I used.