Wipers

50 coupe
Go to solution Solved by 50 coupe,

My car is a P-19, '50 coupe. In searching through the forum, I take it there isn't much to wipers other than lubricating the inside of the vacuum motor, then they work or they don't. When I turn the wiper switch, they slowly go up and just stay, when I turn the switch off, they promptly return. I found reference to a couple of vendors that can rebuild these units. Can't find any reference in my service manual to the wipers or motor. I have the radio out and at this point pretty familiar with what is up under the dash having just completed my re-wire. Do the wiper arms just pull off? Anything other than unbolting the unit from under the dash to get it out? Also, my wiper knob is missing. Any suggestions on a suitable replacement?
Thanks

Edited by 50 coupe

My '49 Chrysler has the 2 speed electric. Just removed, re-greased, and replaced wires. Had the cowl vent out to replace gasket and vent drain tube. Saw easy access to the wiper motor. 2 mounting nuts, and the arms held to the motor with push on clips. Don't drop them! Not familiar with vacuum and what may be bad , but get it out and play/test/lubricate. Lots of rebuilding options. Or replace. For a good chunk of change, you could get a bolt-in 2 speed electric. They are 12V, so you would also need a converter to get down to 6V. Have fun and good luck.

while his prices are often a bit on the high side....question one...have you ever seen an item he has listed and made an respectful offer on it...I ask this because while the man will take all the money the market can bare.....it is not to say he is not willing to entertain a fair price offer.  I have dealt with Mike and have bought at my suggested fair market.  This is a country still operating on capitalistic ideals...

Are those correct for a 50? I've always seen the round radio knob style on the post 49 cars, but then maybe they were swapped in when they saw the price of the "correct" knob. I've got a handful of the radio style if you'd like something a lot cheaper.

no it is not the correct knob...it is a aftermarket style and often one that is common with radio and other electronics pieces of that era. (think press to talk intercom) The Chrome knob is of the correct design and is common to the dodge truck line and not the mopar sedan lineup...again...if you are not out scouring the swap meets and looking through the misc. boxes of mixed items, odds of finding one NOT on an e-bay listing is next to nil...my last chrome knob I found for 25 cents...it is on the Coatney car at this time....sorry Don, I  know you thought I gave you a real treasure when I only spent a quarter...I also gave on of these to another D24 owner on this forum....I often pass these finds on...I have no use for them as I do not run stock wipers on the average...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

On the cover of the vacuum motor, there is a little felt filter to keep dust from entering the motor.

If you remove the cover and clean the filter it will often improve performance.  Also try spraying WD40

on the air inlet and the reversing toggle valve inside while the engine is running and the wipers are  "on".

The control knob on the 50  is the same as the radio knobs.

• Like 1

I recently sold this guy a NOS glove box lock via eBay for $25.  He now has it listed for $125. 

Some of you might remember him when he frequented this forum a couple of years ago.  It's Mike the lawyer from Long Island who was always asking about the value of parts.

I have sold him parts that he has listed for a goodly sum of money...I got what I wanted for them..now it is his turn...while many of us will get out and beat the bushes and grab that trued deal at a wrecking yard or swap meet...many do not..and to that end he is providing those goods to those that do not wish to do the search...not defending, not criticizing...just making a statement.

• Solution

On the cover of the vacuum motor, there is a little felt filter to keep dust from entering the motor.

If you remove the cover and clean the filter it will often improve performance.  Also try spraying WD40

on the air inlet and the reversing toggle valve inside while the engine is running and the wipers are  "on".

The control knob on the 50  is the same as the radio knobs.

OK, thanks for the info. Looks like the wiper knob has a 'divider' in the hole that slips into the gap between the prongs that turn the control cable. I haven't looked at the radio knobs so I will pull one and check it out. Chances are slim, I gather, that the radio will actually work when I put it back in the car but I will need the wipers to work. 

Funny thing, I could not figure out where the control for the wipers were until I pulled the instrument cluster and got up behind the dash. Saw the cable hanging down and noticed that odd hole in the top middle of the dash by the wind shield. Thought maybe a PO had a compass or Jesus statue there at one time. Popped the control end of the cable in there and voila, mystery solved!

If you get stuck trying to find a knob or the "nut" that holds the control in place send me a PM.