Not a P15 but it is mine

rallyace

A P23 is a pretty nice car.  Even though the Cambridge is the plain Jane, yours looks pretty well dressed.

If the mechanical components are good  and the radiator and gas tank are clean It would be an adventure of a lifetime to drive it.

• Like 1

I also vote to fly there and drive it home after asking about when was the last time the wheel cylinders and master cylinder were rebuilt or new ones installed,and if the tires are fresh or cracked.

Unless of course you have a 3/4 ton or larger truck. If you do,go there with a friend,and have him drive the truck home if everything on the car checks out. If not,rent a U-haul trailer and trailer the car home. I have had two bad experiences with dents and/or missing parts after hiring someone else to bring me a car,so I either go get it myself or I don't buy it anymore.

Road trips can be fun and a nice break from everyday life. Look at it as a mini-vacation with the bonus of getting a antique car and the trip money is nothing.

• Like 2

Great looking '51 and welcome to the forum ( P23's are my favorite cars...I have 2).  I agree it would be a memorable trip to drive the car home, but I'd opt for truck transport since the car is an unknown quantity.    I once drove a newly-bought '52 home from Queens  to Staten Island and lost my brakes on the Verrazzano Bridge. I didn't hit anything but very scary.  You can look on the AACA website (aaca.org). One of their forums is for towing/transportation and several services advertise there.  Keep us posted!

I would drive that car home, hands down. Map your route and you can possibly be within 50 miles of a forum member any where along that route, should you have a problem or need coffee! I took a longer look, is that a two door sedan, if so not rare, but I think somewhat scarce. Cool car!

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1

I saw that car on CL.  Looks sweet!  Congrats on the purchase.  I agree with some of the guys in saying drive it home if its mechanically sound.  What an awesome adventure that would be!

Go with a truck transport, but be careful. Most of these folks are con-artists and lie through their teeth.  Either charge too much or take twice as long as they promise.  You shouldn't need a covered transport, I've shipped 3 cars from as far as Florida to Los Angeles with no damage.  You can also cover the car (assuming you can convince the transport company to allow it.).  Should cost between 1100-1500 and take 10-14 days cross country.

For $1100 l would fly to Iowa and drive that car to NY. Last summer we found the top of NY State to be very, very nice. The drive is only 800 miles, the same as eight round trips to dinner or a car show. I would set my foot at 58 mph and let that flat head purr. After 150 miles that engine would settle in, relax and the speed would easily increase to 60+ mph. That would be a FUN drive!

When life presents you with an excuse for a road trip, do not hesitate with the appropriate answer.  And by appropriate I mean "yes".

Looking forward to seeing the new ride in person in September at the WPC event in Belfast Maine.

• Like 1

Really nice looking car.  If you're taking votes, I'd say "road trip", it looks like it has "regular" plates, so it's probably driven regularly.  But I'd still take a buddy and a chase truck since you haven't actually coon-fingered it yet.  Cost there and back would work out the same as if you hired someone to haul it, and you can chalk it up as an adventure, regardless of how the trip goes.  We drove our D24 home on three different size tires, a coolant leak, questionable electronics, and a driver's door that wouldn't stay shut, but we knew that going into the trip.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...