'50 p19 trim options

Fastback50

Ok, since it's 42 degrees here and I'm not gonna freeze my tail feathers off riding 2 hours to the Blessing of the Bikes, I figure I could ask a couple questions here.

On the fastback I picked up, there is one side view mirror mounted just forward of the vent window on the driver's side.  I see some pics of my very same year fastback with the mirror mounted near the top of the door, almost to the roofline.  Is mine wrong, or was this and option difference?  Also, I've seen mine with the exterior visor, but mine does not have this, nor does it appear to have had it.  Lastly, I see them in pics with rear wheel skirts.  I like the look of the visors and high-mounted side view mirrors, even the wheel skirts.  I'm just wondering if my car is incorrect or if changing/adding these things would make it incorrect.  Thanks guys.

Ok, since it's 42 degrees here and I'm not gonna freeze my tail feathers off riding 2 hours to the Blessing of the Bikes, I figure I could ask a couple questions here.

On the fastback I picked up, there is one side view mirror mounted just forward of the vent window on the driver's side.  I see some pics of my very same year fastback with the mirror mounted near the top of the door, almost to the roofline.  Is mine wrong, or was this and option difference?  Also, I've seen mine with the exterior visor, but mine does not have this, nor does it appear to have had it.  Lastly, I see them in pics with rear wheel skirts.  I like the look of the visors and high-mounted side view mirrors, even the wheel skirts.  I'm just wondering if my car is incorrect or if changing/adding these things would make it incorrect.  Thanks guys.

If you are talking about the "peep" mirrors,they are aftermarket. They clamp to the top front part of the doors.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2055119.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xpeep+mirrors.TRS0&_nkw=peep+mirrors&_sacat=0

AFAIK,the outside visors and  fender skirts were all add-ons. I have no doubt dealers sold and installed these parts,but I doubt they were made by Mother Mopar.

As for "original",I think the fender skirts and the outside visor are kind of a gray area. I have seen them on restored cars all my life,and I am GUESSING that show judges let the "pass" because they were dealer options.

Not so the peep mirrors. AFAIK,they are modern aftermarket items. I have two on my P-15 coupe unless someone has stolen them since the last time I looked. I discovered 3 days ago that someone had came into my yard and stolen the chrome turn signal/running light housings and the lights themselves from the front of my 51 Ford,and that someone stole the tach out of my 57 Ford tractor.

I have came home before and discovered car doors left open that had been closed,tail light lenses busted out so they could steal the 6 volt bulbs,6 volt headlights stolen right of parts cars,etc,etc,etc.

Sooner or later I am going to come home at the right/wrong time,and it's going to get ugly.

If you are talking about the "peep" mirrors,they are aftermarket. They clamp to the top front part of the doors.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2055119.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xpeep+mirrors.TRS0&_nkw=peep+mirrors&_sacat=0

AFAIK,the outside visors and  fender skirts were all add-ons. I have no doubt dealers sold and installed these parts,but I doubt they were made by Mother Mopar.

As for "original",I think the fender skirts and the outside visor are kind of a gray area. I have seen them on restored cars all my life,and I am GUESSING that show judges let the "pass" because they were dealer options.

Not so the peep mirrors. AFAIK,they are modern aftermarket items. I have two on my P-15 coupe unless someone has stolen them since the last time I looked. I discovered 3 days ago that someone had came into my yard and stolen the chrome turn signal/running light housings and the lights themselves from the front of my 51 Ford,and that someone stole the tach out of my 57 Ford tractor.

I have came home before and discovered car doors left open that had been closed,tail light lenses busted out so they could steal the 6 volt bulbs,6 volt headlights stolen right of parts cars,etc,etc,etc.

Sooner or later I am going to come home at the right/wrong time,and it's going to get ugly.

That's crazy, people coming right onto your yard/property to steal.  It doesn't surprise me though, my job exposes me to the worst of the worst in our society.  I have two deer trail cams that I keep set up on our property up north because we have had canoes and kayaks stolen even though they were chained to trees.  The cams are motion activated so the batteries stay active for months at a time.  

I'll have to look up those "peep" mirrors, I like the look of them.  I also like the visors/skirts, though would do a visor first if I could find one for the right price. I'm getting way ahead of myself since I'm still getting the car running/rolling, but it's fun to get ideas anyway.  

Does your P15 have one or two horns under the hood?  I only have one, but see a spot for another one...

>>I'll have to look up those "peep" mirrors, I like the look of them.  I also like the visors/skirts, though would do a visor first if I could find one for the right price. I'm getting way ahead of myself since I'm still getting the car running/rolling, but it's fun to get ideas anyway.  <<

This stuff doesn't pop up everyday,so it's a good idea to keep an eye out for it and buy it when it shows up,or you might never get it. I already have a visor for my 42 Dodge coupe,and doubt I will even have it running in the next year or two. I spotted one at a good price,so I bought it.

>>Does your P15 have one or two horns under the hood?  I only have one, but see a spot for another one...<<

My P-15 coupe is a hot rod with a frame clip,400+ hp,auto trans,etc,etc,etc. Pretty much nothing is stock under the hood. Not even the firewall. Sorry.

mirrors are various from car to car...majority were added aftermarket and many different ones were made.  application was usually on recommendation of the mirror maker of personal selection by the owner.

I'm not so sure that was the case with the P-15's. What I have seen that were being sold as NOS original side mirrors had the short beltline/cowl trim piece as a base,and were selling for stupid money. Especially the one on the passenger side.

I'm not so sure that was the case with the P-15's. What I have seen that were being sold as NOS original side mirrors had the short beltline/cowl trim piece as a base,and were selling for stupid money. Especially the one on the passenger side.

I was responding the originators thread of mirrors/P19  

>>I'll have to look up those "peep" mirrors, I like the look of them.  I also like the visors/skirts, though would do a visor first if I could find one for the right price. I'm getting way ahead of myself since I'm still getting the car running/rolling, but it's fun to get ideas anyway.  <<

This stuff doesn't pop up everyday,so it's a good idea to keep an eye out for it and buy it when it shows up,or you might never get it. I already have a visor for my 42 Dodge coupe,and doubt I will even have it running in the next year or two. I spotted one at a good price,so I bought it.

>>Does your P15 have one or two horns under the hood?  I only have one, but see a spot for another one...<<

My P-15 coupe is a hot rod with a frame clip,400+ hp,auto trans,etc,etc,etc. Pretty much nothing is stock under the hood. Not even the firewall. Sorry.

I agree about keeping an eye out now for things that you'll need later.  That and I pick stuff up for cars I don't even have that I could potentially trade later.  

Passenger Car parts List  MoPar 1954 and prior lists:

Book not all inclusive as you have a mounted mirror.

Mirrors list in section 23, and also in section 1, which is accessories. My book does not show the listings in section 1 for mirrors before 1953.

post-80-0-78057500-1463328972_thumb.jpg

I was responding the originators thread of mirrors/P19  

My apologies.

P19 one horn only. The low note part #1121-966 to be mounted on the right side.

P-20 came with two. One high and one low note.

Cold day here and nothing else to do.

Update:  Well I got my service manual and found many potentially poor connections where corrosion or broken/frayed cloth insulated wiring was a factor.  Soooo, I'm going to start meticulously rewiring problem areas according to the service manual.  Going to pick up the appropriate gauged/colored wires from Autozone, as well as connectors.  Any brands of wires/connectors to stay away from?  I was looking at Dorman everything, as I've never had issues with that brand.  

Use whatever brand they are selling at your local box store.  Ordering Dorman if it's not their house brand, could result in you buying many more than you actually need, a long waiting period and a second waiting period if you ended up a few short.   They'll generally carry connectors in varying quantities so you can pick up  a few at a tome or lots depending on what type you need

your local electrical parts supply house has a good selection and cost is not much more than you local hardware store, probably cheaper and at that a better selection...usually top of line brand names if that is important to you...

When it comes to electrical connections and crimpers,my vote is to top quality. Once you wire one and have everything installed it can be a major pain in the ass to get at the connections again if they corrode or the crimps were less than perfect. The best stuff only costs a little more,and it's worth it for the peace of mind.

for sure..many folks think they can get that generic cheap wire crimper in the catch all bag or box of misc connectors and the sun will set in beautiful colors for them.  NOT SO...as you say, well made crimpers are calibrated for the connector and wire gauge being used in that connector.  Mix/match and you can get less than the results needed causing over crimp and distortion/cut of the wire or light crimp and loss of mechanical bond.  having over the course of 37 years in the electronics field for the military complex...trust me when I cay all good crimpers are calibrated....

agreed Don, soldering is my preferred method and I do a lot of it on my harnesses as I also am one to use quick connects ie: plug and play harness.   In utilizing a whole car harness from a donor vehicle back to an older car in the process of using all the electronic, shortening or lengthening a portion of harness is with same gauge wire, where possible by grabbing junkyard harness the same very color codes this is easily accomplished and the custom harness just lays in place.  Modern fuse boxes in many models have the box itself plug and play source and feed wiring for an extremely easy ability to custom fit into about any place..any old vehicle.  Wiring is a breeze....