Will A 10 Year Old New Battery Explode If It's Bulging?

Bingster

I have a ten year old 6v battery that I bought new but never used.  I see that at one of the terminals the plastic is bulging up.  This battery had the three water filling spouts.  If I move this battery or open one of those water filling caps, I am in any danger?  I want to use the battery as a core for turning in.

the battery should still be vented and removing the caps is not a problem BUT if turning in the battery for a core..why the bother at all?

I think the concern is: is it going to explode in his face while transporting to the store. 

• Like 2

If you had a tire bulging would you drive it? What does your common seance tell you?

What is the difference between a "common seance" and and others? Does the mystic wear normal street clothes instead of a fancy costume when communicating with the spirits?

If properly vented and not being charged, it seems unlikely the battery would explode during transport but you may want to put it into a covered plastic bin to contain any acid that might leak from the obviously compromised case.

• Like 2

My common sense led me to ask this board.  Otherwise, I would have just taken the battery in as-is and jeopardized store personnel, which I did not want to do.  One of the questions I also asked was if the three caps have been tight for ten years, maybe the battery hasn't been vented and building up pressure inside and causing the battery to bulge?  As for driving if my tire was bulging, no I wouldn't. 

I'll tell you one thing that I have noticed more and more, and I have done it, too.  People who are asking questions on here, especially newbies, are beginning by saying things like "I know this is a silly question" or "You've probably already posted this a thousand times," that sort of thing.  It comes from us not just giving a simple answer and making the questioner feel foolish.  I really enjoy this board and you are a bunch of great guys, but I always heard that there is no such thing as a silly question.

Anyway, I now know what to do with the battery. Thanks.

• Like 2

battery explosion is caused by hydrogen,  Hydrogen is a byproduct of the charging procedure.  If the battery is discharged or at a normal charge it should be stable with what ever hydrogen produced vented through the caps.   If there is no spark source even a bulging battery shoud be save to transport.  If one is concerned you might put it in one of theose plastic storage totes or in an old cooler for transport.

• Like 1

Ok, the only way to blow up a battery is to make a spark near the vent caps when it's charging or discharging. I've done this quite a few times when I was so stupid I thought it was fun. Seriously, if it will make you feel better, take the caps off and turn it upside down until it's drained. It's then "disarmed".

My common sense led me to ask this board.  Otherwise, I would have just taken the battery in as-is and jeopardized store personnel, which I did not want to do.  One of the questions I also asked was if the three caps have been tight for ten years, maybe the battery hasn't been vented and building up pressure inside and causing the battery to bulge?  As for driving if my tire was bulging, no I wouldn't. 

I'll tell you one thing that I have noticed more and more, and I have done it, too.  People who are asking questions on here, especially newbies, are beginning by saying things like "I know this is a silly question" or "You've probably already posted this a thousand times," that sort of thing.  It comes from us not just giving a simple answer and making the questioner feel foolish.  I really enjoy this board and you are a bunch of great guys, but I always heard that there is no such thing as a silly question.

Anyway, I now know what to do with the battery. Thanks.

All those old batteries are vented. You can see the holes in the caps. What I SUSPECT  happened was the battery went dead and froze one winter,and that's why it swelled up. Just a guess,though.

Like someone else suggested,just put it on a sealed plastic container to keep any acid from leaking out while taking it to trade in. They are going to send it off to be torn apart and rebuilt anyhow,so they don't care about it being bulged. You will still get the trade in credit. I even traded a 12 volt battery in on the last 6 volt battery I bought at the local NAPA store. It's really the lead plates inside they are after.